Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Door sensor option

Instead of motion detection, can a camera be synced to turn on when a door opens? Example: I'd like to install in backyard where fence door is located, but a range of things would set the camera off in motion detect mode alone (leaves, a squirrel, kids playing, etc... ) so, it would make sense if it could start recording only if the backyard door were to be opened. An old camera system I had was synced to a z-wave door sensor and it would start to record only when the sensor activated which was perfect. Arlo support, any ideas?
Comments
zackstark
Tutor

This would be huge... please add SmartThings and other home automation hub support to allow door sensor and other triggers. Open API.

ROYALGAMER
Novice
I would love it if you guys developed a magnetic door/window sensor that warns you the same way as the cams do if someone breaches a door or windows.
JamesC
Community Manager

ROYALGAMER,

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Triniman
Tutor

Is there any discussions of having these types so that the Arlo system can be an all in one.

What we woul dlike is eventually get rid of our home sec and use something like Arlos for complete guarding

wasseng
Tutor

This should be marked as implemented? Use SmartThings and this IFTTT Applet - If SmartThings sensor opens, Arlo starts recording - https://ifttt.com/applets/413209p

Kereluik
Follower

The Arlo Pro Cameras work great but having a doorbell mode for your external camera (or any camera) would be a nice feature.  When I am at home, when someone approaches the house I would like a ding on the base station to notify me that some is approaching the house.  I do not always carry my cell phone around the house with me so having this notification from the base station would be nice.  I realize, I can activate the siren when someone is detected but I do not want to scare everyone in the house.  If you want to get fancier, user customizable tones or melodies would even be a great feature.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Agreed.  I'm trying to use Arlo as a Ring replacement but it is too slow to recieve the motion notification as the person approaches my traditional doorbell, open the app, fingerprint log on, turn on live camera, then tap microphone and talk.  The person at the front door is long gone by that time.  

A setting for the camera to do all of these things on my iPhone when motion is detected would be great.