Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arm function for Amazon Alexa and WeMo switch to turn on when Arlo camera detects motion

I was in the midst of a chat with Arlo tech support and it was suggested I submit an idea.

It seems obvious that in the near future we will be able to arm and disarm the Arlo using Amazon Echo through the IFTTT program. Suddenly I feel it is best to only use the arm function. I sure wouldn't want some crook to disarm the Arlo using the Amazon echo.

Plus I would like Arlo to turn on my WeMo switch connected to the lights when motion is detected. I want a very clear video of the crook

IFTTT makes it seem we can do that right now. Apparently, we cannot...yet

Sure wish you guys would speed up the process as I'm tired of waiting

Thanks

Comments

This is strange. I have taken all the proper IFTTT steps to arm the Arlo using my Amazon Echo. Everything works fine except for one thing:

Even though the Echo is indeed arming the Arlo the Alexa Echo always says, "Doesn't match the 'IF'" Which, of course, leads me to believe it didn't work and I have to check it anyhow on my smartphone to be on the safe side.

What's wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks

LET ME GUESS:  Contact IFTTT for the answer to this problem. Yeah, I figured that and just did. I intend to share the answers YOU cannot give me when I get them. YOU should know the answers to this and YOU WILL as soon as I get them from WeMo and IFTTT

BTW: I registered in the WeMo community in the hopes of finding out what the problem is with the WeMo generated pin numbers

Isnt' it supposed to be YOUR JOB to get answers like this? 

I guess not. It's MY JOB to provide the answers for you, right?

It's also MY JOB to let you know that your chat support gives one answer

and YOU give a different answer, right?

OF COURSE!!!

AND...

I'M SUPPOSED TO BE NICE AND HAPPY ABOUT THAT, RIGHT???

I'M BEING UNREASONABLE, RIGHT????

YES, IT'S ALL MY FAULT THAT YOUR PROVERBIAL LEFT-HAND DOESN'T KNOW WHAT YOUR RIGHT-HAND IS DOING

JamesC
Community Manager

Arlo does not directly work with WeMo. Arlo works with IFTTT which works with WeMo. If you search the Arlo channel on IFTTT there exists a recipe that you can use for WeMo. To use this recipe, IFTTT requires a WeMo pin.

If you cannot get your WeMo pin, please contact WeMo support as this is not an Arlo related issue. If you are having an issue with an existing recipe or a recipe that you have created, provide the recipe and I can escalate to have it debugged.

JamesC

Great post!! If your online chat would have told me this, just as you have now done, I wouldn't have been so bitter.

Still, I intend to share whatever solutions are provided for the benefit of anyone else who may be having this problem; now, or in the future.

Thanks for your patience

Um...I'm going through some stuff here. My anger was not caused by you Arlo people, but it was sure agitated when I get one answer from Arlo chat and another from you.

What you guys should do is have a periodic message sent to all your Arlo chat representatives with important information gleaned from your experiences with customers in this forum. For a company like Arlo, this proverbial left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing has got to stop! It's not cool AT ALL!!!!

Recipe ID 37665407

https://ifttt.com/myrecipes/personal/37665407

Even though the Echo is indeed arming the Arlo the Alexa Echo always says, "Doesn't match the 'IF'" Which, of course, leads me to believe it didn't work and I have to check it anyhow on my smartphone to be on the safe side.

A bug in the recipe? 

Well, if I worked here I imagine I would know

mikoz
Tutor

You can use iffft with echo to arm and disarm the arlo system, but what's missing is the ability to select different modes.  It's somewhat of a primitive implementation.  

Could you please develop an app that interfaces with alexa. When an object triggers an sms message alexa can give you a verbal warning.

JamesC
Community Manager

Charlesincharge,

Keep posted for the latest information on partner integrations here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Any new additions will be added toward the bottom of the page.

JamesC

donk77
Novice

I know this is an older post but I figured I'd see if anybody got this working?

When I try to setup the recipe on IFTTT I get an error on the Echo trigger side.

alexa-error.png

mtplus
Fledgling

I suggest allowing Alexa to command Arlo Q to ARM and DISARM.

I am using the Alexa Echo Dot 2nd Generation.