Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras that use a power adapter instead of batteries

I love the fact that Arlo cameras are 100% wire-free but I would also like to see a powered camera offered so I don't have to worry about buying batteries for cameras that are in locations where there is an accessible wall outlet.

Comments
hooahscott
Fledgling

I will only buy them if they add an optional power cord. 

tkc
Initiate
Initiate

I have an idea, what if netgear could make an accessory of a dummy batteries that is link with each other to perform like a normal dc powered batteries does of this setup --- but has a slim wire ribbon that is flat and tough enough that allow us to close the covering at the back without damaging it and this ribbon is connected to a dc jack male point -- where in DC adapter can be plug-in with an exact amount of voltage and amp that is safe for the unit. It would be very great if we have this as accessories so we just use home power to areas where we want it monitored all the time and save expensive batteries specially from us who is not in the US.

agstone2
Aspirant

I tried the usb cable trick with an iPad power block and it worked great in the dark.  I am going to drill into my battery covers so I can close them and still connect a cable.  I have tried running cameras on our back alley and I have replaced the batteries in both cameras 5 times in the last 6 months.  All batteries, no matter what brand last no more than 30 days.  Knowing what I know now, I would have installed a wired system.  I was willing to live with a 4 month battery life just to save calling in an electrician and running cables....

nicgb1979
Initiate

I concur, offering an accessory that was like a battery door replacement that allowed for use of either battery or AC would be great. Also, the ability to attach a small solar panel would be sweet. I use small solar panels (9"x9") for my trail cameras and the batteries last nearlly all year while taking a lot of pictures.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Great Idea! Take a look at this article showcasing the features of the new Arlo Q! Arlo Wire-Free compared to Arlo Q

nicgb1979
Initiate
I don't believe this should be considered implemented because the comment was for the wireless version which is weatherproof and the Q is not.
DVM
Tutor
Tutor
I agree with "nicgb1979"!
mick-jones
Novice

I was almost going to buy some of these but the Arlo Q isn't weather proof...

I am looking for a solution to monitor our stables; they do have power but are not the friendliest environment for a non-weather proofed product. I can’t be too difficult to difficult a create a camera with an optional D.C. input can it?

Frans67
Novice

If Netgear added an backdoor to the camera that allows for a waterproof usb power connection.

The camera is open for a lot more usage options.

External power from a big usb powerbank in combination with a solar panel.(just one example to fix the problems for cabin owners)

Powered connection there where you have power. And help us being a bit more green. (4 cr123 bat per camera per 30 day's is a lot of chemical waste and a lot of money)

Or even the combination power + batt offering a posibillity to film the person that took out the usb plug. Or trigger the alarm no ac power and send an alert.

And the Q is nice for indoor use. But the Arlo HD is the better outdoor camera if it had a waterproof usb connection for power.

And an option for real wireless operation would be exchanging the 123's for a lipo cell with same size as 4 123's and a low voltage kick off. Then you have maybe 120 day's and can reload them again.

Cheers,

J.F.Trip

Norway

paulcomi
Novice

The solution I'd like to see is a dummy power pack with a cord that could be plugged into a wall. I have these cameras mounted externally and would like to feed a/c to them so I can avoid battery replacement. The wireless data is nice. The wireless power not so much. The idea would be to clip the plug, drill a hole in my eaves and run the power into my attic where I can run a power cord to plug them in. Best of both worlds.