Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Adding Audio to the Arlo Smart Home Security System

I think adding audio to your amazing video quality would just be icing on the cake and a highly desireable feature that would significantly contribute to the Arlo Smart Home Security system standing apart from any other product in this market space. 

Comments
Jurisics
Novice
Adding audio feature , even if it's a separate device like wireless microphone so that I can see my nanny is not teaching my kids bad Spanish words would be ideal :))
MBISHS
Guide

Excellent idea.  Piper currently has this feature, but they are missing some of the features that make Arlo unique (indoor/outdoor capability, multi camera option, Arlo magnetic mounting etc.)

ArloTeam wrote:

I think adding audio to your amazing video quality would just be icing on the cake and a highly desireable feature that would significantly contribute to the Arlo Smart Home Security system standing apart from any other product in this market space. 

R_Lowe
Luminary

Of course I'd have to wonder what would then become of my 4 Arlo cameras that currently DON'T have audio.  I'd hope that after spending $500 as an initial cash outlay, I (or current users) could get, say, a 50% discount on a like number of new Arlo cams w/audio.  That would remove any sting out of a costly swap and/or bitterness from your initial purchasers, and would be a nice customer relations coup for Netgear.  Plus it'd probably compel more folks to keep their sound-less Arlos and then upgrade to a premier plan (so back-end help for Netgear on the subsidy).

SecureDJ
Tutor

I imagine that will be in Arlo 2.0.... Assuming Netgear is a creative tech company... the Tech Geeks like myself, will figure this out... I know likely just wanted to get this out to market to test before Holidays... But yes I invested $400 and have had it for 3 days and so far loving it.... the addition of sound to the surveillance cam and video would complete... but obviously add to the cost... Dude I would pay up to 600 for 3 cams with video and sound... if the battery claim is real (4-6 mos?) ... you will have a winner... I would buy for Christmas if you could get it out.... LoL!!!! Smiley LOL

Idea: A movable or remote microphone that you can plug in and recharge or just leave out 48 hours that will pick up sound and route to the base station or camera to sync with whatever camera is "closest" to it... software can figure that out. 🙂

-DJ

badge332
Novice

I would love to buy one camera that has voice capability with record for sound for my outside camera.

WadeShuler
Star

I am not sure if the current cameras even have mics in them.. I don't think they do. So this would be impossible without new cameras. If they do have mics, then a firmware update would be possible.

I think it would be a huge plus to have audio, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Jbro
Novice
I bought the Arlo with only 1 camera so that when (and I REALLY hope when) they release a camera with audio I can use the non-audio camera outside and get the one with audio for inside. I would buy 2 Arlo audio-camera immediately. Please tell me Arlo is working on this!
R_Lowe
Luminary

ArloTeam wrote:

Frankly, I would not hold your breath on that [Arlo introducing audio].  You'd be a good candidate to supplement your outside Arlos with inside (audio-outfitted] Dropcams.

eLCapitan
Guide

I would maybe add a seperate Audio device with siren and 2-way audio and a PIR(Motion) sensor. So then this can also be flexible installed and triggered if needed. (e.g. garden, entry, indoor). Becasue not every camera needs audio and if i need audio, i put this box next to it and record the audio seperate and merge it with the video online as they should then trigger each other so video and audio recoriding would be synchonous (e.g. like linked the camera to the audio device so they are always start same timing).

Maybe add more sensors like humidity, co2 level, etc. so you can get more data out of it so it would reasonable to install it even for the other features.

pbcomm
Fledgling

Is there a plan to have cameras with mic's in them?