Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras that use a power adapter instead of batteries

I love the fact that Arlo cameras are 100% wire-free but I would also like to see a powered camera offered so I don't have to worry about buying batteries for cameras that are in locations where there is an accessible wall outlet.

Comments
ILoveArlo
Guide
Great idea! Expanding on this idea I think it would be great if there was an Arlo camera that has the ability to be powered by both batteries and a power cord and leaving it up to the customer to decide which method they power the unit with. This would allow the customer to not have to choose between a battery model or power adapter model which would give them greater flexibility in the event that they relocate the camera to a location where they'd need to change power sources. It could also serve as a backup if the unit was being powered by a power adapter and the power goes out the cameras could then be powered by battery until the power is restored.
MBISHS
Guide

This is a must. 

I love this concept.  Easy to use indoor/outdoor system - great idea!  But changing the batteries every 4 months is going to drive me nuts.  I'll wait until this is a feature before I purchase.

DVM
Tutor
Tutor

Agreed!

Besides the tremendous cost of replacing batteries all the time doesn't it seem extremely wasteful?

MBISHS
Guide

I did some quick math: It will cost approx. $100 (including tax) in batteries per year. That's pretty hefty considering that the annual "maintenance cost" is 20% of the purchase price.

• Assumptions:
  • 48 new batteries per year will be required
  • batteries need replacing every 4 months.
  • Price = $17.89 for a 10 pack of Energizers (Amazon) + tax
  • Purchase of the VMS3430 camera system
0x520x430x45
Aspirant

Love the battery-powered cameras. Optional a/c powered models should be made available for those situations where there is easy access to power.

Norm
Novice

Is there another brand of powered camera that is compatible with the arlo hub/base?

felixkurat
Novice

A power adapter option with a rechargeable battery for backup as when power fails would have been very nice!

Sincity
Guide

Agreed. We have a vacation home that we visit 2-4 times a year and batteries may die on those occasions we don't visit often.

Gardenia
Aspirant

I agree with a power adapter option. I have tried rechargeables but they only last for a few days. I was tempted to use aligator clip and power up with a plug in adaptor instead.  

Sincity
Guide

Gardenia: I was thinking about taking the camera apart and solder in a matching plug for the transformer.