Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras that use a power adapter instead of batteries

I love the fact that Arlo cameras are 100% wire-free but I would also like to see a powered camera offered so I don't have to worry about buying batteries for cameras that are in locations where there is an accessible wall outlet.

Comments
rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think this should be marked as "implemented"  - 

Arlo Q ist NOT WATERPROOF and NOT SUITABLE for outdoor use. This is what a lot of people have been asking for!

DVM
Tutor
Tutor

I agree with RKM. It's quite a stretch to call this request "implemented"!

sorova
Aspirant

My biggest problem is that in this country I cannot buy the right batteries that are rechargeable. You cnanot import Lithium batteries nowadays on aircraft anyway. I can only get 3v ones that charge to about 3.5v and this registers as a low battery in the software.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Nest: have a wired weatherproof outdoor camera
Ring: have a wireless weatherproof outdoor camera with solar panel

Netgear, please find a way to either recharge the batteries effectively or add external power with a solar panel or cables. The cost of batteries is massive but the cameras good.
Tony_T
Novice
Too bad the "Q" is indoor only, this would be a great outdoor camera (1080p w/audio)
SFChewyCat
Onlooker

Has anybody using the USB for power had the camera fail or appear damaged from using USB power? 

SFChewyCat
Onlooker

Anyone hook up a 12 volt transformer with custom wire adapter?

SFChewyCat
Onlooker

I now think it takes 6 volts, not 12 volts

lootolooto
Fledgling

Yes. it takes 6 volts. It is well within tolerance, based on the specs, to go 6-8V. It is important to ensure that the current is 1.5A to 2A. Less than 800mA or so will show less than 100% battery. It will still work fine but not show the full 100%. I believe that below 500mA might show low battery.

I have adapted 4 of my cameras by using very small alligator clips and clipping insde the camera. I am also using computer cable, it is thin, to connect an adapter for the AC. This allows me to almost completely close the door all the way. Then I solder all cables and use shrienk tubing to seal and water proof all wires. I am using it with 8V, 1A transformer and it shows 93% on the battery. It works perfectly fine.

I tested the same with a 6V, 2A transformer and I got 100% battery show.

SFChewyCat
Onlooker

Which power springs do you attach the aligator clips to?  Photo?