Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q - Direct Connect (Baby Monitor)

I am going to suggest a great much needed idea. Please support this so that netgear implements. Currently there is much lag when operating the Arlo q in live mode. So much lag that is makes live mode pretty much useless for monitoring a baby. Currently I have a 5-10 second delay in live mode and am connected at 60Mbps. The reason for this is that connecting through the netgear servers adds the delay to what you see on your device.

This is very easily solved my a minor enhancement. Arlo needs to be updated to allow a direct connect feature where if you are on the same network as Arlo q (home) you can enable from your smart device to connect directly to the Arlo q bypassing the servers. This would allow true real time live mode and ability to truly see if your baby needs help now (not 15 seconds ago). Arlo could name this feature "baby mode". Not very complicated with great benefits!

While in live mode (baby monitor mode) it would also be great if motion detection could be enabled and alert (ie you are watching your baby sleep in live mode. You don't want to stare at the screen for 8 hours so it would be nice to have an alert when baby moves in live mode.). Using the motion activated recording is useless for this. Takes to long to connect in to live view.

What I am asking for here can be used not just for baby monitor but other applications as well. It is such an easy change that I'm sure if others backed the need for this netgear would respond. It is in their favour since it will open them to the baby monitor market with a camera that can be used after the baby grows up as a security camera. Currently, it is a lawsuit waiting to happen where someone misses their baby choking by the 15s delay. You catch my drift. Thanks for listening.
Comments
gshively
Novice

I was loving Arlo Q until I finally had time to explore the APIs it provided for local viewing/control...which are non-existent.  Now I'm regretting my purchase.  Arlo Q really needs to expose a video stream that can be accessed by directly connecting to the IP of the camera (an API to control the functionality of the camera would also be greatly appreciated).

Loa
Novice
Novice
Agreed...lag time makes the product useless.
Predator_LU
Novice

I do also agree. Without direct connect IP stream functiionnality the device is useless. I will send it back too. Very sad Netgear has no ambition to server customer needs here.

Ronyb05
Follower
So James, do you have any new for us? If you don't , would you be able to pick up the phone and call developers department and tell them people are unhappy and demanding​ answer if and when direct access will be implemented.
Rotamanx
Aspirant
Who deleted my comments??? Are the admins Censoring us? Bloody joke I returned mine Todd for a refund, maybe if everyone did this they would listen!! Good luck all
Ronyb05
Follower
I agree. I asked a week ago about updates and nobody from Netgear cares to reply . I'm waiting few more days and returning mine.
Just btw we customers making your pay cheques Netgear!
Dakial1
Novice
Just bought the Arlo Q and found out about the terrible lag. Sad. Not much I can do now other than leave a 1 star review at Amazon. I suggest all of you to do the same.
Ronyb05
Follower

well, i have returned mine.  they will not make money on my they will not make moeny on terrible unsopported product. 

so get this neatgear. you had my money . but i took it back. so you know what go f....  yourself!  

hope everynbody do the same. hate companies who think they can do whatever then can and people will buytheir product anyway. 

not anymore Neatgear. your product suck and here it is. 

do something about it or go under !!! 

jslanger
Initiate

I just bought an Arlo Q Plus, and my wife hates the lag, and a cheapo wireless baby monitor does the job instantaneously.  The picture quality is worse on that, but my wife wants me to return this camera....and my plan was to add a couple Arlo Pro cameras too.  Unless we can get a fix on this Netgear, you're going to lose out on about $500 of sales...just from me.  Otherwise I love the product, and would love to keep it.

Has anyone heard any updates on this issue?

JamesC
Community Manager

Arlo Q connects to the Arlo cloud when initiating a live stream. This results in a slight delay in the live stream. I encourage you to add Kudos to this idea if you would like to see this feature on Arlo Q in the future.

JamesC