Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Go gps location tracking

I know there are capabilities to track a phones location using the imei number, is there a software update you can implement so that one could track the location of thier Arlo GO Mobile.

Comments
roweboat
Novice

Hello, 

Recently purchased the Arlo Pro 2 and using in wireless mode to survey my property. One concern, of course, is that someone could simply walk off with them.

I think building in some sort of low voltage GPS tracking would be great.

I'm prototyping my own solution. I found there is just enough space in the battery compartment to fit a quarter-sized object. I bought a TrackR Pixel hoping I could fit it inside the battery compartment. Unfortunately, I had to remove the plastic casing and what I assume is its speaker module? I tapped the battery to the circuit board and my phone still recognizes the Pixel but the Pixel makes no sound (it still lights up).  [I rationalize most thieves aren't clever enough to immediately open that compartment if ever]

So clearly the technology exists fairly readily. Netgear should consider partnering with a company like Tile or TrackR!! =D

dbro4
Novice
I appreciate this goes to the community, however hopefully the team at Arlo will pick it up. Recently I purchased an Arlo Go for monitoring a location that was remote from power. I bought it on a contract data plan with Telstra which was overall good value with the inclusion of the solar panel which was required where I set the camera up. It worked a treat, loading content to the cloud and sending alerts. Unfortunately early one morning someone entered the area and stole the camera and panel! It was caught on camera but not incriminating. What I think is a feature that is required is GPS built in. Ideally the GPS should run off a back up battery for enough time to track the device if it's moved even if the main battery or SIM card is removed. In my case, the mug that took the camera worked out how to shut the device down even though it won't be very useful to him or anyone else in the future. So built in GPS - what do you think? Would it make the camera too expensive? Would it be worth it? Could it be an option on a certain model? Please give your feedback. I've included the mug shot for interest!
dbro4
Novice

Yes, this is something I think should be built it. This very thing happened to me! I recently installed Arlo Go in an area I wanted monitored an the intruder just stole the camera and solar panel! I had no way to track him down.IMG_3417.png

videoevidence
Fledgling

Maybe you need to buy more Arlo Gos... one to watch the original site, one to watch that Arlo, one to watch that Arlo... until you can form a complete circle.