Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit

To integrate arlo into the Apple Home Kit would be a great improvement.

Now I have a great camera system with an app, a weather station with an app and some other sensors in the Apple home kit and they do not work together. 

E.g. an alarm could be triggered by the motion sensor of the camera or the camera could be switched on by a door or windows sensor even if the motion sensor is not activated because the object is too far away and so on. There are a lot of possibilities with connecting the systems. 

Is this planned to do?

Comments
KKobes
Guide
There was an update in the App Store, mine asked me as well to access my HomeKit data, but since I do t have an Arlo Ultra or Pro 2 it’s useless.
RenaatLO
Onlooker

Acces to HomeKit has been part of the (iOS) app for quite some time actually. 

For or anyone interested in news about firmwares, you can always check at:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

However as as of now ... it’s not up to date (big surprise..) and as I strongly believe they consider themselves the “apple” of home security.  You will end up being forced to upgrade anyway. 

(I hope “most” people can agree that for cameras , this is in fact, a bad joke)

Layhomah
Onlooker

The day has arrived.   At least as far as the app is concern.  I now see an option to setup HomeKit.  However the new firmware that supports it hasn’t been released yet 😞  Almost there!!!

Spoiler

Layhomah
Onlooker

That firmware that supported HomeKit never arrived. Now the app doesn’t even have the HomeKit section anymore.  What’s going on?   Stop teasing and release already. 

mikebalboa
Guide
Any word on this?
Sealey
Guide

Here's a few ideas that I believe would be great to have...

1. Make the spotlight feature of the Ultra cameras be something that can be controlled through a Mode setting.  Currently, the spotlight can be set to come on or off as a camera setting. I have some cameras where I would like the spotlight to come on only when I know there is typically no "normal” activity, (example 11pm to 5am). I don’t want the spotlight to come on at other times (example: sunset to 11pm) when I may still be entering and leaving my house.  Being able to control this through modes and the schedule feature would give the user this flexibility.
  2. I know HomeKit support is coming, but I have no visibility into what features will be available through HomeKit, especially HomeKit automations.  I would like to see Arlo Modes be able to be used as HomeKit scenes.  That way triggers in HomeKit (i. e. Time Based (specific time, sunset, sunrise, etc.),  Location Based (Person enters or leaves a geofence) , Sensor Based (motion, glass break detector, or smoke alarm triggers) , or Accessory Based (door opens, switch turns on, etc.) could be used to set the desired mode in Arlo. 
ittroll
Apprentice

So at WWDC 2019, Apple announced HomeKit Secure Video which features local image recognition/processing, encrypted video upload, and 10-days of free storage on iCloud. A solution which guarantees complete privacy.

Netatmo, Logitech and Eufy announced their support at the event, whilst Netgear/Arlo were conspicuous in their absence. I think Arlo customers know exactly where they stand now with regards to HomeKit support.

RenaatLO
Onlooker

Let’s just be honest about it. 

Ive now tried both with apple and google. Arlo integration is BAD. 

this alongside their false promises. Endless bugs deployed with each new version and cancelled/delayed products... it’s time to sell the kit. 

Personally, I’d rather throw it in the garbage than use it another day. 

Enough already. Netgear can be the next Kodak. 

psdl
Initiate

When Homekit Secure Video is rolling out and Arlo / Netgear are not supporting it, i will sell this slow mess asap.

Also, not providing an rtsp stream is so ridiculous.

ittroll
Apprentice

Looks like this finally been rolled-out after 3.5 years (despite the idea status still being Engineering Investigation).

"HomeKit support is here for Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 with Arlo Pro Base Stations." (model numbers starting with VMB4000 and VMB4500)

Owners of older gen hardware will have to upgrade or go elsewhere.