Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit

To integrate arlo into the Apple Home Kit would be a great improvement.

Now I have a great camera system with an app, a weather station with an app and some other sensors in the Apple home kit and they do not work together. 

E.g. an alarm could be triggered by the motion sensor of the camera or the camera could be switched on by a door or windows sensor even if the motion sensor is not activated because the object is too far away and so on. There are a lot of possibilities with connecting the systems. 

Is this planned to do?

Comments
Jhawk27
Guide

As you all might have heard and recieved an email, ARLO is branching off from netgear and going public on the stock exchange! It is my greatest wish that, while maybe a subsidiary of netgear still, we will have more..."freedom" with support and future updates, especially recommended by the consumers. I personally love the pro 2 system I have and am looking to purchase a few more cameras.

With the impending iOS12 update and siri shortcuts. It would be a wonderful, wonderful thing to have built in support instead of using IFTTT or other 3rd party automations. I know homekit intigration has been discussed before. Does anyone know where we stand on this topic? Has anyone heard of future updates to include this feature? I would assume it would be a firmware update to the cameras/base station to include talking to homekit. 

Regardless of homekit inclusion in the future, I would love to see some fancy siri shortcuts available once iOS 12 launches!

ArtDirDave
Aspirant

You would only hope, Apple is just a small company with only a few users so why support there tech? 

@Elmar2001 wrote:

To integrate arlo into the Apple Home Kit would be a great improvement.

Now I have a great camera system with an app, a weather station with an app and some other sensors in the Apple home kit and they do not work together. 

E.g. an alarm could be triggered by the motion sensor of the camera or the camera could be switched on by a door or windows sensor even if the motion sensor is not activated because the object is too far away and so on. There are a lot of possibilities with connecting the systems. 

Is this planned to do?

svtdriver
Guide
At minimum I’d like to be able to tell Siri to change arlo modes. When I’m outside i dont need the cameras wasting battery recording me do yard work. Opening the app and going thru all the motions is irritating and i end up forgetting to arm them.. With HK, I can schedule arming at sunset it’s a catch all. Viewing video is great but not as high on my list..
LaraCroft835
Aspirant

So back again and still no update to Homekit. Now Siri Shortcuts is out with IOS 12 will there be any plan to introduce support for Apple's Shortcuts ? 

Hopefully this will allow me to post a link. But it’s about creating Siri IFTTT shortcuts. And it works great. There is not a lot of things it can do but if you create one of these then you can duplicate and then just change the name you used in IFTTT. 

How to Trigger IFTTT Applets with iOS 12’s New Shortcuts App and Siri

https://shrtm.nu/LU4a 

this is is at macstories dot net. 

And the screen from IFTTT for what you can do

2058F37B-08AC-45EB-A26F-A9DD5BDB2B6E.png

DVIb
Novice

Just bought a 2 pro set to find out only Arlo baby has HomeKit. What’s the issue netgear? We need this. 

ArtDirDave
Aspirant

You have to understand Apple is not that big it isn’t worth developing for a small company with such little market share! 😀

ArtDirDave
Aspirant

You have to understand Apple is too small it is not worth developing for such a small unknown company with such a small market share

kennysamuerto
Follower

Arlo must say something about it. At the very least, tell us if it's a possibility, or not. It's a lack of respect for your customers.

StretfordEnder
Apprentice

They’ll say nothing but try and flog you a Smart subscription in due course. That’s why HomeKit support will never be added. They’d rather you coughed up even more dosh then the hundreds already spent.