Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allowing users to switch from color to IR manually.

There are instances when I need to see things at dusk and the camera has already switched to IR, yet there's still enough ambient light to see a color view.

Comments
vhpfi
Novice
Additionally, for indoor mounts that look out a window, the IR leds reflect off the glass glaring the camera to the point that no image is usable. Being able to turn off the IR leds would be a huge benefit.
dhcl604
Tutor

Arlo really needs to have a manual mode for the night vision function. The IR's seem to come on too often even when there seems to be plenty of light in a room.

toqy
Initiate
@vhpfi FYI motion detection doesn't work through windows from what I've read in the support forum
Tim
Onlooker
Onlooker

Is there a way to turn off the night vision funciton on the Arlo Cameras?

I have a camera mounted in a window and it works great during the day but at night the IR Ilumination just reflects off the window and the camera is useless.

TomMac
Guru

At this time... NO.  Though I believe this was put in as a wish request.

If it was , add some kudo's ....If not put one in ;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

The camera switches ove to B/W when it senses a lower amount of light needed for the color...  At this time the IR Leds are activated when recording occurs.

The only way at this time is to 1) have enough light that the cam stay in color mode ( very hard to prob do ) 2 ) physically mask off the IR leds so they don't shine     ( reflecting light)

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso

The motion sensor won't work through a window, so the only way the camera can be turned on when it's behind a window is through manual control.

Faengelm
Tutor
Arlo should include an option to turn off the IR when the camera is used to look through a window at night. The night vision filter should still be activated.

It might be possible to add this to the current slider switch

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Agreed. I ran into this problem last night when testing it. I don't want to put the cameras outside to be stolen!

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Same problem here. Indoor would be nice so they can't be stolen when placed outside.

TomMac
Guru

ant wrote:

Same problem here. Indoor would be nice so they can't be stolen when placed outside.

Even cars get stolen... 🙂

But if mounted up out of reach with a tamper resistant mount, I doubt someone is going to go thru the trouble to steal it.