Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allowing users to switch from color to IR manually.

There are instances when I need to see things at dusk and the camera has already switched to IR, yet there's still enough ambient light to see a color view.

Comments
oplaskon
Onlooker

David I just positioned my arlo units, 3 of them going outside.  The infared doesn't pick up any activity clearly especially the unit I have inside my pool screeningj shooting outward into the yard.   It is just one dark blob even though the night vision is on.  I have the same problem with the one mounted on my gargage shooting toward our cars.   How much light do you need to get a view of these areas?  They work great in daylight but night time is a challenge.

TomMac
Guru

oplaskon wrote:

David I just positioned my arlo units, 3 of them going outside.  The infared doesn't pick up any activity clearly especially the unit I have inside my pool screeningj shooting outward into the yard.   It is just one dark blob even though the night vision is on.  I have the same problem with the one mounted on my gargage shooting toward our cars.   How much light do you need to get a view of these areas?  They work great in daylight but night time is a challenge.

Shooting the IR illuminators thru a screen always is a problem...you're getting some reflected/blocked IR that doesn't help the camera "see".

As to outside, the limit of the IR illuminator is a good useable 10-15 ft ... it will reach out to about 30 ft max but really not useaable and drops off on the sides a bit.

IMO , since the range of the motion sensor is about a max of 20 ft,,, it's not a bad range.  The easiest thing to do if possible is to add motion floodlights on you cars so your using more than just IR to add light.... A flood light popping on is also a good deterrent.

cruicky
Guide
Hello. My Arlo recent purchase has the option to turn night vision on or off manually however after a save it has an error. If I try again to save it appears to work but then when a access the settings of the camera again after that the Night vision option has turned itself back ON.
The Night Vision option in the settings does not work.
AC
jguerdat
Guru

Is this via the app or browser?  Have you tried the other or a different browser?

JamesC
Community Manager

cruicky,

What does the error message say?

JamesC

Raab602
Fledgling

Raab602
Fledgling
Sounds like everyone has the same problem. I can't even see my backyard at night. Really disappointed with this product. Don't know why it got such good reviews. Probably take it back for some night owl flir cameras with actually heat sensing image at way cheaper.
jguerdat
Guru

Light falls off at the square of the distance so you'd need LEDs 4x more powerful to see twice the distance.  A battery-operated system is only going to provide just so much lighting.  Search for IR spotlights on the Internet - there's a ton of them that would offer much more distance.  Or have motion detection outdoor lighting pop on.

Missty
Novice
But if mounted up out of reach with a tamper resistant mount, I doubt someone is going to go thru the trouble to steal it.

With regards to the comment above, this morning I had my 2nd camera stolen 1st was 2 weeks ago same person. Camera's positioned on the 2nd level of my house, he uses a next doors rubbish bin to climb up the side of my house. I missed him by 2 seconds this morning! I can no longer afford to invest in another one. Not sure if the ass can use them? Have contacted Netgear to see if they could track or if someone has tried to register it. So I can assure you they go to great lengths to steal them!
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso

Not sure if this is helpful for your case, but I have two cameras setup in a way that they can see each other.  If someone tries to steal one, he/she will be caught on the other one.