Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

iOS Do Not Disturb Bypass

Like most people, I use the iPhone's Do-Not_Disturb at night so I don't get notifications from the 30+ apps I have installed on my phone.  But I need to be able to receive notifications from Arlo if one of my cameras is triggered.  Either design the app to notify above the iOS DND, or design a new notification system that uses phone call or text message (like most stores use now for sales and coupons).  

Thank you!

Comments
Goblue99
Onlooker

At the beginning of the discussion there are instructions how to receive text messages via an email.

daniel0319
Tutor

For iPhone users, here is the solution to (a) keep your Do Not Disturb secure so that you can sleep through the night, and (b) actually set an alarm to wake you up if an intruder comes by.  This is a work around for not having a different notification option through the Arlo app, one that lasts longer and can be customized.  IFTTT and other third-party apps do not work well.  Just follow these four steps on each device.

STEP 1

Must first login as admin (on any device) and enable Email Alerts for each event that you want this to work with.  So if you have a rule called "Night time" and have two areas of motion or sound detection, make sure you check email alerts on both of them.  When you enable the Email Alerts, use the chart that has already been provided regarding phone carriers.  You should Google your carrier's Email to SMS Gateway to confirm these are still accurate or check yours if it isn't on the list; I’m re-posting the one from earlier in the post here.  Just be sure to enable the email notifications and put in the correct phone number and email format.  I would recommend checking it by setting off your motion detector and confirming you receive a text message about it.

Carrier

Email to SMS Gateway

Alltel

[10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com

AT&T (formerly Cingular)

[10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net [10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS) [10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Boost Mobile

[10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com Example: 1234567890@myboostmobile.com

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel)

[10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel)

[10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com [10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com (MMS) Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile

[10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular

[10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS) [10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net (MMS) Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon

[10-digit phone number]@vtext.com [10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS) Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA

[10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

STEP 2

After that is completed, go to your iPhone Contacts.  Create a new contact with any name (a good one would be Arlo Alert, so let’s go with that for this.)  Name the new contact Arlo Alert.  Press the edit button.

In edit mode, create a new email address, and it needs to be exact: alerts@arlo.com

STEP 3

While still in Edit Mode under your new contact called Arlo Alert, select Text Tone.  At the very top of the next screen, Select Emergency Bypass (this allows the bypassing of Do Not Disturb Mode.)

STEP 4

Now go down to where it says Alert Tone.  I would recommend skipping this section because Alert Tones will not wake you up and last about five seconds.  Instead, proceed down to Ringtones (yes, you can use a Ringtone for your texts if you set it up this way.)  Select your Ringtone, which is essentially a 30 second alarm, and there are a lot of options.  I chose “Alarm” from the Classic menu at the bottom, but you can’t really go wrong here.  You are setting up an alert, disguised as a RingTone, in whatever style you want, to let you know that your Arlo has detected something. 

Save your changes so that your new contact, Arlo Alert, is permanently set to Emergency Bypass and is assigned a ringtone alarm.  Go ahead and put your phone on Do Not Disturb.  Go set off your motion detection.  There is a slight delay sometimes (maybe 30 seconds), maybe better if on cellular, as this process takes a little extra time to complete it’s cycle.

ToomToom
Initiate

iOS 12 will support "critical" alerts. Notifications that can bypass Do Not Disturb mode, and the ringer switch (i.e. always make a sound). It requires Netgear to apply for a special entitlement, but they are an applicable app (home security) so should be able to get one.

This would be a great feature, is not very difficult to implement (iOS dev here, already looked through the documentation for it), and would really take Arlo over the finish line in it's ability to reliably alert users of urgent home security notifications.

Coupled with the (very easy to implement) idea to offer different alert sounds, this would bump up the Arlo iOS app's quality another notch.

naturemind
Fledgling

As outlined here by MacRumors:

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-12-notification-changes/

There is now the ability for iOS applications for apply for a Critical Alert Notifications Entitlement. This is a *critical* system, tending to our properties' security, and I'd find this to be a very useful thing for Arlo to do, so it could break through the Do Not Disturb mode on iOS devices. I know this ability would definitely put me more at ease, because currently the only way to be alerted if something happens at night is to leave the phone not in Do Not Disturb mode, which allows all notifications and alerts through. This is available as of June 6 through the App Store Connect, as I understand it.

It would address this other request: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/iOS-Do-Not-Disturb-Bypass/idi-p/1198687

If this is not alread underway, this seems like an obvious no-brainer for such a system as Arlo has.

ToomToom
Initiate

This item needs some real attention in the community. This is a pretty critical feature for an alarm system. iOS has made Do Not Disturb mode more useful and prominent so more people are using it at night. Applying to Apple for approval to use critical alerts from Arlo that will bypass DND mode would be a great, and common sense thing to do.

dazednconfuzd
Aspirant
I've been researching about how to keep Arlo notifications on when using Do Not Disturb on my iPhone 7 plus and there is not an option for that in the phone or in the app. From what I've read developers have to get with Apple and write that into the app. Sure would be nice. Developers????.........
louwandre90
Novice

IOS 12 now supports critical alerts, where alerts will bypass Do-Not-Disturb.

This allows me to enable DND at night with the comfort of knowing I will still receive alerts if someting triggers a camera.

Please enable this feature, as understood home security falls under the categories that supports critical alerts. 

litbro
Guide

I need the ability to bypass the Do Not Disturb (DND) for notification of intruders, at night.

I've told everyone I know that the Arlo Pro 2 with iPhone is NOT a good security device if they use DND.

And EVERYONE uses DND, otherwise you can't have your iPhone near your bed at night.

I am very disappointed in my Arlo purchase at this point.

The security feature that I purchased it for "doesn't work".

I'm not interested in complex workarounds, or the delay in notification.

While I congratulate those for their clever persistence.

I need a simple on/off control for the DND bypass so I can easily disable it for some conditions.

I need the an immediate, specific, loud, alert that tells me there is an intruder near my camera.

Arlo Pro 2 does not provide this.  Not only is it somewhat of  a "secret", they don't even say when it will be upgraded.

I bought my system at Costco, maybe they will accept a return.

If I don't get assurance that this problem will be resolved I will pursue a return.

It would change EVERYTHING if Arlo would update the app, to allow alerts to bypass the iPhone's DND.

Steele999
Fledgling

While I am asleep, I turn my IPHONE 10 on silent and therefore all calls and notifications are silenced. However, I would like to be notified by more than a vibrate if Arlo detects motion in my house. Can I set my Arlo up to bypass my iphones silent mode?

Rolyatk
Novice

Can I bypass my IOS Do Not Disturb feature UK 2020

If I leave my Iphone Do Not Disturb mode off at night, I get woken by every email etc. I would like to bypass my DND mode so that I can just get notification from Arlo of intruders at my premises?