Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
anthony0perez
Initiate
Umm why is this not an option. I just got this all setup and now I'm thinking of returning it because of this option.
JamesC
Community Manager

anthony0perez,

Currently the limitation on recording length is in place for battery conservation, not to say that this cannot or will not change in the future. I encourage you to continue your support for this idea!

JamesC

anthony0perez
Initiate

James,

If we pay for the space/storage and the batteries then why would you restrict the use of our resources. Seems odd. If you want to use up all your storage then whatever. It might be that when someone comes into the motion that they stay and look and wait for other people to notice then if nothing then they start doing what you're trying to catch. Seems more important to get that recording than worry about some batteries that cost 20 bucks for some rechargeables.

Dogle
Aspirant

I +1'd/liked this on another thread. These cameras are going, as soon as I can come up with another use/recipient who doesn't have reasonable expectations of them.

Dogle
Aspirant

Agree. Well, I agree this is a mandatory addition to the existing product (via a software/firmware update) - but frankly there are a couple other issues that aren't overlookable - even if this one is resolved. I already said more about this on one (of many of these) thread(s).

Just biding my time until I can repurpose these at another location, or resell them to another victi... er... user that doesn't share such legitimate expectations from a 'security camera' system.

macphreak
Onlooker
Is there another system that is comparable to arlo? I just got my new arlo system setup but am a little disappointed at a lack of features like this one. As well as the delay in starting the recording itself.
Chunkstyle
Onlooker

For this reason I ended up giving my Arlo set to my parents and got this one instead:

Amcrest 720P Tribrid HDCVI 4CH 1TB DVR Security Camera System w/ 4 x 1MP Bullet Cameras on Amazon

Arlo is nice and an easy setup but without continuous recording, no motion detection areas, delayed recording when initially sensing motion, and constantly burning thrugh non-standard batteries.  Its a no go if you actually depend on them for home security.

If you want to watch videos of your cat sleeping on the porch (in predesignated time increments), this is the system for you!  

macphreak
Onlooker
Chunkstyle - How is the video quality of that system compared to Arlo? Also, how is the mobile app compare? Thanks!
Chunkstyle
Onlooker

Both the Arlo mobile app and web interface are better.  The video quailty and reliability are better with the Amcrest.  It's also a wired system so set up is more difficult.   

newsshooter
Guide
Count me in! Quicker recording start upon motion detection and continuous recording until motion stops is a definite need!