Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera starts recording on and only stops when Motion stops

First of all, Arlo is great in theory. A wireless camera that is accessible from anywhere in the world with an internet connection? Wonderful!

But in reality, it's a system that is more gadget gimmick, than a useful, usable security option.

However, if you could make this one change in the system, I'll deal with the usability issues on the app; I'll deal with the limitations of the camera settings; the lag in response to motion; etc., etc... If you could just make it so that the camera starts recording on motion and doesn't stop until the motion stops (with a user setting for max mins), then I'd finally be satisfied.

Otherwise, here's how it works now, and an example of what I actually get: A UPS truck pulls up, and Arlo kicks in (late) and starts recording after the truck is already parked (very annoying), but then I get 30 seconds (my setting is 30 secs) of the truck sitting there as the driver gets the package from the back. Then Arlo shuts down, the driver gets out with my package and walks up my driveway (about a 20 second walk) at which point Arlo is starting up again for another 30 second clip. Arlo starts up again and then records 30 seconds of the driver already walking away after dropping the package at my front door.

If this were an intruder or someone "casing the joint" I'd never get an image of his face. Is that a real security system?? Now, if I could set Arlo to stay on and record until the motion stops or my setting (I would choose 5 minutes) I would get all the footage I need. Battery life wouldn't matter to me because 1) if the motion stopped at 15 seconds, the recording would stop or; 2) if I could capture real "show-to-the-cops-footage" I wouldn't care if I had to replace the batteries more frequently.

That said:

PLEASE CHANGE ARLO TO STOP RECORDING ONLY AFTER THE MOTION HAS STOPPED OR BASED ON OUR USER PREFERENCE!!! Thanks!

Anyone agree or experiencing the same? Please chime in and hopefully the folks at Arlo make it happen!

Comments
katcomo
Novice

So did anyone from Arlo answer this question? 

Donnyhory
Novice

Yes i agree!  i was just robbed a few nights ago and because the camera couldnt be set so it would keep recording unitl motion stopped i never was able to get a picture of the face of the person.  It stopped at the 2 min mark and was not able to capture the face.  So.it did absolutly no good for me.

bravado67
Onlooker

My home was vandalized a few weeks ago and I was unable to get enough information from four cameras to catch the suspects. I am selling my Arlo gear. Enough it enough. The only camera I will keep is the Arlo Q.  I have since purchased Dahua cameras and Blue Iris software. It is worth its weight in gold. I have so many options with the software and it records 24/7 while capturing motion.  The camera's night performance is like nothing I have seen.  Don't blame Arlo if you it doesn't work. Blame yourself for expecting it to.

Fully agree with this. Even with the camera set to record until Motion stops, it simply does not work.

please fix this !!

Downunda
Apprentice

Agree wholeheartedly, ther's another thread running with this suggestion.

Downunda - Melbourne Australia

momoney8
Tutor

Arlo has such a bad lag on detecting motion!!  The person is almost out of the view when it starts to record. There have been times when I have pilled up in my car, got out walked to my front door, entered my home and it didn't even start to record motion. What Gives!! This is like a Kiddie Toy but at a very expensive Price. Netgear have you cheated us?

pgalbavy
Guide

Why does this say "implemented" in the description when it's clearly not?

On my Pro 2 set-up the recording starts, stops a few seconds later and then restarts after a short gap - I guess the postman or whoever stopped moving. There is nothing in the settings apart from either continue recording while there is motion or for 300 seconds.

ArloProOwner
Apprentice

Jan 14, 2019 (USA)

Unfortunuately this failure still occurs for me on a daily basis with all 10 of my cameras....none consistently catch things, and none consistently record for the length of time that I have it set for, still stops recording before the 90 seconds I have it set to record when motion detected for example.  My cameras will catch a bird whistling and record that, yet not catch me coming to the door of my own home.  Undependable....STILL in the year 2019.  And there are never any sure solutions, mostly trial and errors from people like us and then again, you think you have the cameras synched properly and the work ok for a bit then suddenly they don't....Not a security camera system in the least, in my experience of having this Arlo Pro system for a year now.  So many issues still and ongoing and probably right around the corner.