Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless Channel config manual override

Here's the deal;

wireless_in_the_city.jpg

This is my WiFi *indoors*, if I go outside it's even more and stronger signals. It amazes me that this Arlo system even uses WiFi when it offers is no manual control whatsoever, which I obviously expected it to offer, because, well, it's from NETGEAR!? All your equipment offers the user settings and full config and control, yet when it counts (to protect and secure our home reliably) it just doesn't?? WTF is that about? Please netgear, explain this to me. I demand the option to set the channel the base-station uses.

To be honest I didn't even expect it to use 2.4 GHz WiFi. Why did you pick that? Since it's proprietary anyway, why not use some unused frequencies? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, I'm going to publish this fact everywhere I can, because if knew beforehand, I would never have paid so much for such a useless wifi distortion unit. I would *not* have bought it.

Second thing is the fact it's reliability fully relies on your internet being up (and wireless signals not being distorted purposely). I can just pull the phone-cable outdoor so the DSL is lost, I can even check the wireless band from my car for the netgear ssid (which is always the same) and then switch on a scrambler and rip the house blind.

This has got to be the most insecure system ever, there's no local backup option of the footage, no memory, nothing (I've tested it). Frankly, not at all what I expected from a big name like netgear. Your routers are OK, but this arlo hands-off cloud-only stuff blows. And then no Advanced config in the base-station? For crying out loud you guys, get that fixed channel setting in the firmware or I'll send my expensive arlo crap right back to the seller.

Comments

Why do we not have the ability to manually set a channel and leave it there?

Comingback
Tutor

I for the last year have not had an issue with Wi-Fi interferance, that I knew of but questioning it now, and the all the sudden today 5 out of 6 devices keep dropping. I moved my home wireless network to a different channel and haven't had a problem since. I have my base station 50+ feet away from my wireless router. I'd love to have the ability to change my channel for the base station as now my home wifi is on a more congested channel and the arlo is all by itself at the other end.

dforco
Follower

Is this issue solved or do I need to buy Nest cameras? Any suggestion?

RudyA
Observer

The issue is not resolved and it seems as if Netgear has not bothered to acknowledge this thread in almost three years since it's still marked as a "new idea".  

I don't know much about them personally but based on the attention this issue is [not] getting from Netgear, going with a Nest system may be the smart way to proceed...good luck!

B_Boss
Initiate

Hallo… we are your customers!!!  Add the function!

Auto or Channel 1-13 and Auto, 20 or 40mhz.

Jmm17
Initiate

I also would like this feature. It seems to be standard these days to be able to select your channel. I have a Sonos system which allows this as it gives me the ability to separate my Sonos Net from my home WiFi and this improves performance. Since installing my Arlo system I have experienced severe issues with my Sonos performance. I need the ability to manually select the channel or there is interference and performance degraded. Please respect the knowledge of your user base and provide this as a base feature. 

ittroll
Apprentice

This has had New Idea status for over three years without an update. What a joke.

HawKe777
Novice

HUGE need for anyone wanting to optimize their wireless network. They way it works now (piggybacking) is atrocious.

jercox
Aspirant
I'm finding this three years later, with no indication it is being taken seriously at all. Really obnoxious to have a MORE powerful signal being broadcast on the same channel as my primary 2.4GHz network. There is a wide open non interfering channel available, this device can be any of 1,6 or 11 and I can move the router channels. But instead this base station keeps following any setting I choose. So obnoxious.
AINH
Fledgling

Adding this so others can hopefully find this thread, and save countless amounts of time, frustration, and potentially money, to chase down a problem Alro should have fixed years ago.  Please, please, please implement manual fine tuning of the wifi channel OR have the base station router choose an appropriately distant channel automaticaly. 

Problem: NETGEARxyz is killing my wifi on a regular basis.  NETGEAR55 follows my home wifi network channel causing intermittent dropped wifi on a daily basis. I manually reset my router.  The next day: BAM - the just-solved wifi drop out problem comes back.  (NETGEAR55 is my Arlo basestation with latest firmware!)