Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless Channel config manual override

Here's the deal;

wireless_in_the_city.jpg

This is my WiFi *indoors*, if I go outside it's even more and stronger signals. It amazes me that this Arlo system even uses WiFi when it offers is no manual control whatsoever, which I obviously expected it to offer, because, well, it's from NETGEAR!? All your equipment offers the user settings and full config and control, yet when it counts (to protect and secure our home reliably) it just doesn't?? WTF is that about? Please netgear, explain this to me. I demand the option to set the channel the base-station uses.

To be honest I didn't even expect it to use 2.4 GHz WiFi. Why did you pick that? Since it's proprietary anyway, why not use some unused frequencies? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, I'm going to publish this fact everywhere I can, because if knew beforehand, I would never have paid so much for such a useless wifi distortion unit. I would *not* have bought it.

Second thing is the fact it's reliability fully relies on your internet being up (and wireless signals not being distorted purposely). I can just pull the phone-cable outdoor so the DSL is lost, I can even check the wireless band from my car for the netgear ssid (which is always the same) and then switch on a scrambler and rip the house blind.

This has got to be the most insecure system ever, there's no local backup option of the footage, no memory, nothing (I've tested it). Frankly, not at all what I expected from a big name like netgear. Your routers are OK, but this arlo hands-off cloud-only stuff blows. And then no Advanced config in the base-station? For crying out loud you guys, get that fixed channel setting in the firmware or I'll send my expensive arlo crap right back to the seller.

Comments
AEMN
Fledgling

I have publicly recommended other products because:

1) No option to use the camera(s) without internet. (Even though I have the "PRO" with simultaneous local recording to a USB stick.)

2) Missing the most basic function of selecting WiFi channel.

I want my Arlo Pro on channel 11. I am a business customer with multiple access points on channels 1,6,11. Channel 11 is the cleanest channel relative to the Arlo Pro base station (APs on channels 1 and 6 are closer to the base). Which channel does the Arlo choose?????

Channel 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clobbering the two closest APs on channels 1 & 6 with interference from channel 3!

jult
Star

I will never buy anything by netgear in my life again, and will recommend against it among all my friends and followers on social media.

ConcernedUser
Follower

Let's go Netgear Arlo Admins, Project Development Coordinators, and Programers!

I am down on my knees begging you people to add the 802.11 n 2.4GHz channel selection option for users. What does a man have to do to get a simple set-up option around here? Do you want me to kiss your shoes?

Else, I will get rid of my arlo channels and start posting review videos on youtube and cause a disruption in your projected sales models. 

Please contact me with regards to this development.

-Concerned Arlo Pro User

Klp65
Onlooker

The Arlo Pro may have been the most dissatisfying purhase I made in a long time... 😞

It clobbers down my 2.4Mhz wifi the the grade that I have serious connection issues with every other 2.4 product I own.

Using only 5Mhz is unfortunately not a solution as those products dont have 5Mhz.

It doesnt matter wher I place the Base station, 4m away from my Netgear R7000 router or right next to it, it still overshadows the R7000's 2.4Mhz wifi 😞

Since Im now past the 1 month return window Im stuck with this

Only solution I can think of right now, besides Netgear stepping up and fix the issue, is to unretire my old Asus router and set it next to the Arlo base station and FAR from my R7000, and hope that Arlo piggyback on the unused Asus network instead of the needed R7000 wifi signal.

Is there any legal way to rewoke the purchase of Arlo Pro because of the wifi interference??

Anyone managed to do that outside the 1 month??

RokleM
Onlooker
And we're still waiting on a networking company to figure out how networks work........
Dawsson46
Aspirant

If they can't adjust the base station software  at least re attempt to make the router OS function as a base, especially in the case of Orbi. Yes it failed before, but it was an option 

mocodi
Apprentice

Looks like the Arlo Pro base station (VMB4000) may unfortunately be worse than the original (VMB3000) in this respect.

Have had a VMB3000 for a couple of years, separated from my router by a brick wall, and it consistently picks a different channel (6) than my router's (11).

Today I had the opportunity to try a VMB4000 in the same position. On startup, it defaults to channel 1 (the original has the same startup behaviour, if I recall correctly). But shortly after, it switched to 11 - same as the router. Rotated the base station 90 degrees just to test a different orientation, changed my router to channel 6 to test a different channel, power cycled the VMB4000, and it followed the router to channel 6.

So, if you pulled your hair out finding the right spot for the original base station where it doesn't butt in on your router's WiFi channel, be wary of upgrading to the VMB4000.

Befuddles me that they won't add a channel override setting to save some customers so much frustration. Whatever testing led to this channel sharing behaviour, it clearly doesn't work well in all real-world situations.

TedYB
Novice

Sad to say, but this co-channel interference issue has been there since the Arlo system was first released.   Netgear Arlo 2.4 camera router following onto existing wireless router channels is wrong and poor engineering design for any wireless device.  Wireless routers and access points can only be on channel 1,6,11 to allow bandwidth space and minimal co-channel interference and other wireless clients to be on channels 2-5 and 7-10.  That is the limitation of 2.4 GHz wireless. 

Does anyone have a hack to access the VMB4000 settings?  I have two of them, should I try to bring both up together side by side and watch the wrestling match to see who is on top being on the same channel?  I wonder in an Enterprise network environment with multiple Wireless APs on channel 1, 6, or 11, which Wifi channel would the Arlo router pick, the strongest one?  Wrong.  Even an automonous Cisco AP chooses the weakest channel from 15 years ago. 

mocodi
Apprentice

TedYB, here's a crude hack for the desperate. If you've separated the base station from your router as much as practical, but it still switches to the same channel, simply grab a cheap/spare router, set its WiFi to the channel you want the Arlo to use, and shove it right next to the base station. Just tested one (a W8960N) in the situation I described in my previous post, and it worked.

Best to use one that lets you set transmit power so you can dial it down to the minimum necessary for the Arlo base station to recognise it as the nearest router - I was able to use the lowest setting. There may be further settings (e.g. beacon interval) that can be adjusted to minimise interference.

Jasonjjn
Fledgling

The fact that this was not put in as an option from the begaining is just sad.

They really fingured the best option was to just have it use the same channel as the radio right next to it?

Who thinks this stuff up?