Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Turning Spotlight OFF on Arlo Ultra 2 Cameras

Critique of article ID:  000062172

To activate or change the Arlo camera's spotlight behavior: 

This article suggests you can change the brightness of the spotlight by moving the slider. 

We do not want to adjust the brightness, we want to turn the spotlights off. 

We have a camera set up at 20 feet in the air overlooking a large farm barnyard with boundaries over 100 feet away.  With the night vision it is possible to see somewhat over the whole area at night. 

However, when motion is detected, the spotlights come on, and only the area about 40 to 50 feet from the camera can be seen, the rest of the area is obliterated from view as the area spot lighted is that much brighter, and you can not see into the peripheral areas anymore.  We thought we turned the spotlights off one night, but it turned off the motion detection as well.  The next night we set the spotlights to flash.   The camera worked as expected with the spotlights flashing on and off.  Hopefully, when the spotlights were off one would be able to see the peripheral area if the camera would adjust that quickly. 
Unfortunately, the SmartHub decided to go off line that night, and we did not see the pictures taken with the flashing LEDs.  We need to make a decision, if this system will work for our farm. 

How do you turn the spotlights off, so they do not drown out the night vision over the whole field of view? 

There needs to be a LED OFF setting for this !! 
It is nice that there are spotlights so you can have colour at night, but if most of the picture is lost when the spotlights come on, then the spotlights are defeating the purpose of the cameras.  Night vision is good on the cameras, and better on moon lit nights.  The camera does not have the ability to adjust for different light levels in different portions of the field of view.  Therefore, if you have a large field of view, the LEDs are not useful, as they flood the foreground and the view of the background is lost.  This camera would work well in a small backyard in the city as the whole backyard could be flooded with light with the LEDs. 

Comments
CBMilneNilica
Aspirant

I just finished a critique on the outdated information sent to us on how to get the camera HUB back online.  When I pressed Post the following information came up. 

Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication. 

Return to my original page 

I just lost the complete critique on the outdated page telling how to get the Arlo SmartHub on line.  Therefore, the HUB is still dead in the water. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi CBMilneNilica,

To turn off the spotlight, navigate to Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Ultra 2 camera > Video Settings > Low Light Settings > toggle the Spotlight off.