Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Theft Deterrent

The cameras placed outside can easily be stolen.  The motion sensor lag sometimes does not capture video until it is too late.

I believe that each camera has its unique serial number.  It would be great if Arlo could disable stolen cameras or provide some ability to track or recover stolen cameras.  Even an image captured when an attempt(s) is later made to register the camera to a new base station.

Comments
BrentDeo
Aspirant

I totally agree. There should be a way to disable the cameras by reporting them stolen to Arlo. I hope we are not just talking and that Arlo is doing something about it.

jusmee
Aspirant

It would be great if there is an anti thief device as its alot of money to lose because someone feels the need to invade your property and take the camera. I saved up for months so i could finally buy Arlo Ultra just so someone unscrew it from my front porch 8 days after i put it up so im really annoyed. You make this expensive camera to do certain things but you dont have anti thief device on it. Some people just cant go out and keep buying another expensive camera to replace it. 

Paula

jusmee
Aspirant

It would be great if there is an anti thief device as its alot of money to lose because someone feels the need to invade your property and take the camera. I saved up for months so i could finally buy Arlo Ultra just so someone unscrew it from my front porch 8 days after i put it up so im really annoyed. You make this expensive camera to do certain things but you dont have anti thief device on it. Some people just cant go out and keep buying another expensive camera to replace it. 

jjkeebler
Guide

It would be great if ARLO had a digital lock on it similar to Apple's FindMyiPhone.  It's impossible to put the camera at a low level because anyone can walk up and steal it.  If there is a digital lock on the camera, then the thief cannot profit from their theft.  Currently, I have to put my cameras up high, to deter physical theft of the actual camera/s.   Thank you,   Jim Keebler

Craigkeola
Fledgling

Netgear, please get a reportIng system in place to lock out stolen Arlo cameras from being re-activated. My neighbor just had an Arlo camera stolen so I checked this Arlo community to see how Netgear handles this situation. I was confident that a well known high tech brand such as Netgear would have an established process to lock out properly registered devices that are reported stolen. I’m surprised and disappointed that Netgear does NOT have this basic feature implemented yet. Get going on fixing this please to help reduce the theft of our cameras. 

JLM66
Fledgling

@664 wrote:

Whilst other suggestions of having anti-theft protection via the software making it " non syncable", this won't prevent the physical loss of an expensive camera.

A "Physical Barrier"/Security cage mount would be better.

I have experiment by building my own from heavy duty 25mm mesh, however the IR Reflections made it unusable. I did paint with matt black but no different.

Have now developed a great alternative by purchasing cheap Caged Bunker wall lights from a hardware store, scrapping everything except the base and cage. Cameras are now mounted behind bars 🖒

Please look at developing something similar for the many users requiring piece of mind.

They would need to be priced under US$10 as that's all it cost me to develop my own.

Photos available!

I recently had my cameras stolen and ordered 2 new ones. I’m trying to find the lights you used and aren’t having any luck. Would you mind sharing where you found them?

Jambotatu
Guide

Why not register a device to a location similar to Geofencing then if the device is moved it will not operate.

Jambotatu
Guide

Tried this

Tried thisTried this

Jambotatu
Guide

Found youFound you

NWKaty
Aspirant

Is there a form or other document to fill out to report a stolen camera?