Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Theft Deterrent

The cameras placed outside can easily be stolen.  The motion sensor lag sometimes does not capture video until it is too late.

I believe that each camera has its unique serial number.  It would be great if Arlo could disable stolen cameras or provide some ability to track or recover stolen cameras.  Even an image captured when an attempt(s) is later made to register the camera to a new base station.

Comments
Fledgling
Fledgling

Whilst other suggestions of having anti-theft protection via the software making it " non syncable", this won't prevent the physical loss of an expensive camera.

A "Physical Barrier"/Security cage mount would be better.

I have experiment by building my own from heavy duty 25mm mesh, however the IR Reflections made it unusable. I did paint with matt black but no different.

Have now developed a great alternative by purchasing cheap Caged Bunker wall lights from a hardware store, scrapping everything except the base and cage. Cameras are now mounted behind bars 🖒

Please look at developing something similar for the many users requiring piece of mind.

They would need to be priced under US$10 as that's all it cost me to develop my own.

Photos available!

Fledgling
Fledgling

Software won't stop the theft of your hardware.

I'd rather deter the theft by mechanical means such as a secure mount or protective barrier.

Fledgling
Fledgling

664 wrote:

Whilst other suggestions of having anti-theft protection via the software making it " non syncable", this won't prevent the physical loss of an expensive camera.

A "Physical Barrier"/Security cage mount would be better.

I have experiment by building my own from heavy duty 25mm mesh, however the IR Reflections made it unusable. I did paint with matt black but no different.

Have now developed a great alternative by purchasing cheap Caged Bunker wall lights from a hardware store, scrapping everything except the base and cage. Cameras are now mounted behind bars 🖒

Please look at developing something similar for the many users requiring piece of mind.

They would need to be priced under US$10 as that's all it cost me to develop my own.

Photos available!

New modification to include magnetic ball mount.

Not skilled enough to cut window in glass diffuser so cut and old cctv camera dome in half as a shroud (second photo).20170730_153216.jpg20170730_153323.jpg

Fledgling
Fledgling

20170730_153216.jpg20170730_153323.jpg

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

KLJOHN
Initiate

It would also be nice if the camera speaker would siren if the speaker sensed it was being stolen.

Xichlo
Luminary

Since you have the Cam Serial numbers on the Arlo Cloud, can you/do you identify reported stolen equiptment to help track down thieves?

Andy28Oyster
Fledgling

Ok so mine outside have plastic clear domes over them and are secured to the walls, I cut a very small section of the dome out which prevents the glare from the Infrared at night and the hole is too small to get your hands into the dome and steal the camera, it also allows the motion detectrer to work and activate the camera as if a hole is not cut out of the dome the motion detecter was not always working. Domes from www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012TXQ0AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TexasAggieMom
Fledgling

Thank you for sharing.  Yes, a cage option available from Arlo would be very much appreciated.  Although I would love to see a $10 price tag, I imagine that many of us who are not as handy as you would be willing to pay quite a bit more.  Let me know if you decide to create these to resell.

Does anyone think Arlo will create and sell a version of a cage anytime in the near future?

Sk33yc
Novice

I agree i recently lost my dad and bought these camaras to keep an eye on his house but on the 22nd of nov someone stole one of the camaras and due to the cost of replacing it the option to track the camara by gps or something similar would be greatly appreiciated