Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Theft Deterrent

The cameras placed outside can easily be stolen.  The motion sensor lag sometimes does not capture video until it is too late.

I believe that each camera has its unique serial number.  It would be great if Arlo could disable stolen cameras or provide some ability to track or recover stolen cameras.  Even an image captured when an attempt(s) is later made to register the camera to a new base station.

Comments
netcam
Star

I want anti-theft feature to be added in Arlo app.

Add new feature to prevent stolen camera to sync to different base station or router.

Only when user removes synced camera from Arlo app, such camera can be synced to new base station.

Optionally in settings-devices-camera add slider or checkmark button to allow/disallow to sync camera to different base station or router.

Mrshartley
Novice

Hi there,

i am am planing on spending a lot of my savings to buy these cameras and I have heard  a lot of customers reviews regarding theft of these cameras, this is worrying me as I can not afford to replace them if they are stolen.

like the previous reviewer whom I have quoted

Spoiler

said....what are your plans to put some kind of security measures nine place? 

Your cameras are a fantastic idea and I look forward to purchasing the full system hear in Australia but as I said" they are a lot of money for someone to steal " when the whole idea of getting them is to prevent this sort of thing.

many thanks & kind regards.

Mrs Hartley.

netcam wrote:

I want anti-theft feature to be added in Arlo app.

Add new feature to prevent stolen camera to sync to different base station or router.

Only when user removes synced camera from Arlo app, such camera can be synced to new base station.

Optionally in settings-devices-camera add slider or checkmark button to allow/disallow to sync camera to different base station or router.

bmattox79
Apprentice

i believe this is something that was just looked over initially but that could be added through a firmware update.  Maybe password them so you have to enter the password to resync with a different base or just a check mark as mentioned.  At the very least it would keep a thief from using it again

Cantab
Star

Agreed. Netgear should design and sell anti-theft enclosures that still allows for fully functional IR recording.

@JamesCI see that this thread has been changed to "Future Contributions". I would like to draw your attention to my design suggestion:

Perhaps the enclosure itself could be used to emit IR light, which could (a) entirely eliminate the need for the camera to emit its own IR light, thereby avoiding reflections, and (b) provide a far brighter IR light, in the same way an external flash of a dSLR provides far greater coverage and range.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Engineering Investigation

ToriJ
Aspirant

Did you ever figure it out? 1-6-17 they stole my Arlo but I had a cheap setup inside my house. So it went off and I watched 2 men help there self in my garage. That one doesn't record automatically but I was able to call the police so they only got me for 2000 this time. So I'm trying to find something else to I do not loose more. I had the new screw mount & it 14-16 feet high. They broke the mount.

Tats wrote:

The cameras placed outside can easily be stolen.  The motion sensor lag sometimes does not capture video until it is too late.

I believe that each camera has its unique serial number.  It would be great if Arlo could disable stolen cameras or provide some ability to track or recover stolen cameras.  Even an image captured when an attempt(s) is later made to register the camera to a new base station.

Tydelands55
Fledgling

There are trail and game cam boxes that may be the answer to anti-theft ideas. Moultrie brand has a box for its panoramic game cam.  Not sure of the dimensions and lens opening.  

ReconyxSC950
Apprentice

None of the game / trail camera enclosures will work with the Arlos because the Arlo's are waaaay smaller than any of the steel bear boxes made.

You might consult with Custom1 enterprises in Imlay City, Mi where I purchased my 4, 12 gage steel bear boxes for my Reconyx SC950's.

They may be able to fabricate them with the demensions and use the steel press and cut them out. I know the Arlo's that use a cell signal would be great in one but, remember the steel may hamper the feed from it to the cell tower or base station.

It's worth a try. Great folks and products as well. Don't settle for those thin sheet metal ones available everywhere. Spend to protect!

RSC950

Tydelands55
Fledgling

Hi.

There is definitely a market for an Arlo-size security box. Until then, It may be possible to affix the Arlo cam inside an available trail box as long as the opening is small. "Thinkin INSIDE the box" ! Lol

As for Reconyx, I am looking at the MR5. Any experience with it?

thx.

ReconyxSC950
Apprentice

Use whatever works best in your situation. I highly advise against it as it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth causing more frustration.

It's like putting the wrong size wheels and tires on a vehicle expecting the same performance from it without comprimising other components. "Think smarter not harder" beats out the "inside / outside the box theory" everytime.

I've seem the MR5 but, haven't moved on one as of yet. I'm all bout illumination at night for ideal identification of subjects. I can say, the brand is the best out there next to none.

Buy a 12 gage steel enclosure for it and not the Reconyx brand. It "does" make a difference when you're talking the price value of what's inside the box thieves may know about.

Good luck.