Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Telephoto (long) lens - for greater reach

My contention: The 130° angle of view (aka field of view) of the Arlo Q is great for most situations. But there is occassionally a need to zoom in on a particular area, say a gate located at the end of a driveway. This calls for a longer (telephoto) lens.

Proposal: Design and sell a lens adapter which extends the reach of the lens, in the same way that there are lens adapters for smartphones which increase the effective focal length of the lens. Or better, have interchangable lenses.

Evaluation of my idea: 

1. A high-quality lens adapter could be expensive
  2. There may be little demand for a longer lens
  3. The lens adapter has to be very large in order to ensure a good effective f-stop number and thus maintain good low-light recording capabilities
  4. IR recording may no longer be possible, necessitating the use of security lights
  5. With a telephoto lens, the Arlo Q could be deployed in a sheltered area of the house which would previously have required an Arlo Wire Free to cover the same area. 

Alas, my suggestion may, as usual, gain no viewship or support. Here's hoping that will change. If not, I shall not waste my time here. I'll let the community decide using the "Kudos" button.

Comments
ploughguy
Apprentice

I need this.  I have an arlo pro monitoring a bridge that occasionally floods. It is positioned at the end of its range (about 300 metres) and the bridge and the water (currently) below it is just barely visible.  We are expecting 20mm today, so it might be more exciting later in the day.

A 2x or 3x lens would be perfect.

Ploughguy.

m_z
Apprentice
Apprentice

We install our ArloBaby a bit far from the crib, and we always end up using digital zoom to see the LO, effectively wasting most of the bandwidth and picture quality.

Would be great if it was possible to attach a lens to ArloBaby to get e.g. 2x or 3x optical zoom.

Some other baby cams have it, and it's pretty neat.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

TheDeliverer
Aspirant

Some cameras that have wide angle view will have a bit of warping due to the hemispheric look of the lens. What about Arlo engineering a 2 lens wireless camera at a reasonable price with two 90 dregre angle lenses which will cover 180 degrees of the perimeter of customers property.

TomMac
Guru

prob a cost issue vs a small amount warping to cover large area at 110-130d angle

rma153
Novice

Absolutely a must have. I need it to focus in on my Motorcycle from my balcony. If I place the camera closer than my balcony, the camera will get stolen.

Arlo_user2
Aspirant

I need this along with 90 degree rotation 

jstueck
Fledgling

I would design a new Camera specific to the Arlo 2 System.  Telephoto is a must for surveillance outside.  A new Camera would allow Netgear to keep the IR feature.

ploughguy
Apprentice

jstueck said:

"I would design a new Camera."

You are right, of course, although I am not sure how well IR will work over a long distance.  
You would end up cooking sparrows as they few through the beam.

Cantab
Star

Bump