Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: New Ideas

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

skate
Aspirant

It's somewhat encouraging to see this in a new product, but you are sorely mistaken if you think I'm spending any more money on arlo products when you could probably fix this with a simple firmware update.

Literally the only reason I haven't scrapped my arlo stuff completely is because it's wireless.  There is literally no excuse, aside from greed, for not offering local storage on existing systems. I've given you enough of my money... I'll just wait for someone to hack this one with custom firmware, and hope we don't all suffer a data breach in the process.

c_r_w
Onlooker

Thanks for bringing this into your product. +1 to hoping a firmware release grants the local storage access to the previous model. 

It won't.

This company only cares about getting more money out of there supposed customers. A customer is somebody that is treated well and is given a product that meets the standards that are acceptable this is not a product that meets the standards that acceptable. There are a number of downfalls to this product. What do you do you fix the mall with something brand-new that cost another $6-700 to buy. we have asked for this asked for this and ask for this and you have not met our needs.

Why because you want to take more money from us you want to force us to buy something brand-new because you don't want to do what you said you were going to do which was to give updates and we have been giving you options to the product we purchased that's a lot.

you people are liars

I will never buy another Netgear product in my life and every human being that I speak to I will tell this too that they don't care about their customers and all they want is to gouged your pocketbook.
Logzy
Aspirant
It really shouldn't be that hard to record to NAS.
This is required for this product.
It is just outright rude of netgear to release a "new" product with local storave yet we have been asking for it since day 1.
It really does make them one of those companies that is just interested in money and not really listening to the customers.
They have driven me away as i will never buy netgear again after this debacle yet i used to be a netgear supporter.
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

RM-Mo
Novice

No Local or Network storage!!!!.... what a rip off.  Why buy Netgear routers if you  cant use the usb storage options?  Poor planning or they are going to really screw us and remove the FREE 1g storage in 6 months?

^^what?

The storage is going to be taken away too?

You have to be kidding me!!!
alecmcint
Aspirant
Can you please clarify: Netgear will remove the free cloud storage for 7 days that comes with the product? Is there an announcement or source?