Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
docrobb
Onlooker
Very pleased with the camera itself and with the mobile app and web interface. Only X is the lack of local storage, this feature really needs to be added.
docrobb
Onlooker
Local storage needs to be added ASAP.
lhls80
Novice

Local storage PLEASE.

lhls80
Novice

Local storage PLEASE.

lhls80
Novice

Local storage PLEASE.

Nantucket55
Novice
Another country folk here. Only metered Internet and just signing in to watch for 10 seconds here and there throughout the day eats up nearly half a gig or more faster than my data manager can notify me. I'd buy another 10 cameras if I could keep it local. I'd even buy a readyNAS if that was the only option. Come on Netgear. I sell your stuff every day. Make me proud to sell this.
rtech
Novice

Just repeating most comments here but local storage, definitely during Internet outage, would be a welcome addition. Agree that thief sees it's an Arlo, then knows to cut Internet (cable, DSL, fiber almost always on the side/back of the house) and cameras become worthless. I have my Arlo base and router on battery backup in case power goes the system still works (ISP infrastructure still works in my hood during most power outages). However, line cut and I'm done.

Some want local storage only ability but Netgear wants the revenue stream. Sorry to others but I am ok with the required subscription whether I use cloud and/or local storage. Let's enable those ports for local storage. We know you hear this is as top request Arlo team! 

NekkedRunner
Initiate

Netgear is less interested in making a secure camera for those who purchase the product than they are interested in it being a continuos money maker, hence the Cloud only storage.

Sadly, like many products in the market and the growth of the Cloud phenomenon, safety security and privacy are being pushed aside in favor or profit, control and data gathering by companies that see the cloud as a boost for their use.

Even more sad is that WE have not only accepted the Cloud phenomenon but have done so with open arms. We have bought into the marketing agenda that the Cloud is in OUR best interest and companies offering services with Cloud features are doing a great service to us.

One only has to look at the vast personal information that services like Google, Microsoft, etc gathers from us daily when we use the internet, tablets, cell phones etc.  It is no wonder companies like Netgear jumped on the Cloud phenomenon.

The Cloud is the new Virus as we enter into the future.

Gathering our personal data, monitoring and controlling how we use OUR equipment, placing JUNK ADS into our equpment and vastly exposing us to security risks.

ALL the actions of previous and existing virus's.

mbilo
Novice

I love the positive comments and reviews , but still am not going to buy until I can dedicate a extra computer I have laying around to storage by adding a massive ssd. Please netgear, do this and I will buy

NekkedRunner
Initiate

Netgear is less interested in making a secure camera for those who purchase the product than they are interested in it being a continuos money maker, hence the Cloud only storage.

Sadly, like many products in the market and the growth of the Cloud phenomenon, safety security and privacy are being pushed aside in favor or profit, control and data gathering by companies that see the cloud as a boost for their use.

Even more sad is that WE have not only accepted the Cloud phenomenon but have done so with open arms. We have bought into the marketing agenda that the Cloud is in OUR best interest and companies offering services with Cloud features are doing a great service to us.

One only has to look at the vast personal information that services like Google, Microsoft, etc gathers from us daily when we use the internet, tablets, cell phones etc.  It is no wonder companies like Netgear jumped on the Cloud phenomenon.

The Cloud is the new Virus as we enter into the future.

Gathering our personal data, monitoring and controlling how we use OUR equipment, placing JUNK ADS into our equpment and vastly exposing us to security risks.

ALL the actions of previous and existing virus's.