Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments

Local Storage is Extremely important for people living where broadband service is not available.  I have invested in buying 6 Arlo camera system and living in such an area, am unable to use any of them.  

Please update the software to allow local storage ASAP. 

Apreciate it deeply. 

TastyWheat
Fledgling

I definitely purchased this because I read the Anandtech article. I am hoping for an update that will allow us a little latitude to record locally and to our own cloud storage.

With Google Drive at $1.99 for 100GB and your Premier option $9.99 for 10GB, you are 50 times the price of Google Drive cloud space. It shouldn't be a surprise that people are a little annoyed.

SNE
Fledgling
Fledgling
I will be returning Arlo eventually even though I paid for a premium subscription. Just waitin to get the new system installed. The recent 2 day ISP outage which occurred right when we were being harassed at home by a couple made the Arlo system completely worthless.
I have my whole network and ONT on full battery backup with my house panels secured against non-official access. None of which helped with the ISP issues.
gte071u
Fledgling

I created this account just to comment on this. The ONLY thing that is holding me back from spending $$$ with Arlo is the lack of IFTTT support and the inability to record to a local network drive (I also have Synology NAS). I could tolerate only having one of two functionalities, but it's a deal breaker to not have both. At this point, I'm leaning towards purchasing a raspberry pi and self-building one to get the functionality I want.

NekkedRunner
Initiate

Yup.  Just another example of how the CLOUD based RESTRICTED security system

fails to meet what the consumer needs and is designed solely for the benefit of Arlo.

NekkedRunner
Initiate

I might add. 

Since Arlo Camera saves are soley Cloud Based, if like many other companies they shut down their operations, all installed Arlo Security Systems out there become USELESS.

oh yay....another billionaire made his money and walked away.

NekkedRunner
Initiate

About those Arlo stickers to let people know you have an Arlo Security Camera System.  Throw them away!

If you want the fact you have Video Surveillance known, go get  a Generic Video Surveillance sticker.

If I was a burglar and saw an Arlo sticker. I'd know that a pair of wire cutters and I can take down the security.

How?

Cable and telephone wires are easily accessible outside the home and at ground level so easy to access.

Cut the cable and telephone line going into the home.

Arlo Security or any Cloud Based security camera is now inoperable since saves are only CLOUD based.

If the Security System COULD save locally, a well placed HIDDEN network storage drive (easy and does not need to be near the computer) would capture being burglarized and thus evidence is retained, even if your computer system and camera's are stolen.

If once inside the home the network is disabled, it is still AFTER pictures or video have been taken and saved to your HIDDEN network storage drive.

Also the video saves are YOURS, NOT accessible by Arlo and not the property of Arlo's Cloud.

Anything less than secure is just a waste of your money be it Arlo or ANY Cloud based security system.

I am not saying ANY security system is 100% BUT some are simply easy to install/setup but not viable as a functional security system.

Cbird
Aspirant
Adding to the list

The reason why the recording length is such a problem is that after 1 recording, there is a considerable amount of time be forever a second recording is triggered. If somebody is hanging around outside my house, I'll only see the first 2 minutes
Cbird
Aspirant
And I agree that choosing cr123 batteries was a huge mistake.
LoneStar1776
Initiate
Loud audible iphone alarm when motion detected

My wife and I sleep on the second floor of a two story house with the arlo caneras on the first floor. When we go to sleep, we set all cameras to alarm on motion. It would be ideal to be able to configure notifications from arlo to aound an alarm on the iphone loud enough to wake us up so we can immediately check out the disturbance.