Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments

Local storage would be very helpful. My internet can be easily disconnected outside of my house and if there is no local backup option my Arlos will not capture any video.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: New Ideas

jimdxb
Aspirant

i don't trust cloud and we have seen lots of large company get hacked from cloud , just enable local storage to make everyone happy  , its simple !

You bet ya there crap
y0bailey
Novice

I am also very much pro-local storage.  I have an external hard drive and run my Arlo from my R7000 router.  Would love to locally record.  I hope it is being looked into for future plans.  

That being said...it isn't a deal breaker for most "normal" people.  

My plan is to have 3-4 outside cams. 

Sure they could walk around my house and unplug my internet connection coming in, but if they are there they could also cut the power and come back in 4 hours when your UPS setup is dead and your hard wired/local storage is down.  

Either way, they are getting caught by my outdoor cams long before my "cloud" goes down.  

So yea...I'm not using these to defend my multimillion dollar jewel collection.  If you have something that valuable, your going to want wired cams, a huge battery backup, and both cloud and local storage.  Even then, your cams usefullness can be defeated by a $2 pair of pantyhose.  The smart criminals aren't getting caught.  

That being said, your "average dumb dumb" who steals your Amazon package off your porch will get nailed with these cams or a $2000 setup with local storage.  That's plenty good for me.  

JamesC
Community Manager

JamesC
Community Manager

Schorschi
Prodigy

DCMann wrote:

This entire product is crippled by not having any method to allow local network storage usable for recording.  

Get in line. I suggest you increment the Kudos counter in the many ideas that have requested local storage in the Arlo Idea Exchange, for instance:

1. Local storage / USB port.
  2. Local storage.
  3. USB Back Up Storage.
  4. Local Storage.
  5. Support More Storage Options.
Ruun
Novice

How do i view the cloud storage 

i have the basic subscription

confused?!!!

NekkedRunner
Initiate