Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
stuball
Observer

I just ran into an issue this weekend where NAS functionality could have been useful (if not necessary).  I was without internet for about a day (thanks Comcast!) and during that time the cameras were absolutely useless since the base station could not talk to the mother ship.  If I was able to hook up a NAS, this wouldn't be an issue.  At the very least, it could be used as a local cache for videos to be uploaded when connectivity was restored.  

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Dear Netgear,

I was ready to pull the trigger on $500 worth ( 4 cameras) of this product today, but not having a NAS storage option broke the deal.  Please let me know when this option is available and I will happily purchase. 

Thank you,

JH

Logzy
Aspirant

Fully agree here and ill add that the sales guy at officeworks where i bought this told me i could connect it to my nas.

he asked which one i had and i told him it was a qnap, he said no problem.

i cannot think why the arlo system could not have this feature implemented.

it would certainly speed up viewing from home over the local network.

Please netgear, implement the option of saving locally to our NAS.

its not like the system is some sort of secret spying device with netgear building a catalog of all our videos, or is it ??

DCMann
Novice

I'm evaluating security systems and I seriouslly hope my concerns are seen by someone in charge of the developement of this product.  The entire idea behind this product is amazing and seems to be very well done except for ONE HUGE missing feature (that seems to have been intentionaly left out).  This entire product is crippled by not having any method to allow local network storage usable for recording.  Don't get me wrong, the availabel cloud storage (and optional subscriptions) are a great feature, but being the ONLY way to store footage is incredibly narrow minded and frankly will do nothing but loose sales in the long run.

I was pulling out my CC to purchase a 4 cameras system until I learned the only way to store video was via the Cloud.  I'm not an "anti-cloud" guy at all (been an IT professional for over 2 decades), but I now how hardware works and the lack of a way to use local networked storage for a device like this must be intentional and that leads to the quesiton of "why?" and the obvious answer is the higher tier paid cloud subscirptions.  I'm not one to fault a company for trying to make money and obviously the FREE subscription that comes with the kit is sufficient enough to prove it is not ALL about those paid subscriptions.  Still, just wanted someone to be aware that I doubt I will buying this system because someone chose to remove a basic feature that has to be there to make the cloud storage work anyway....VERY BAD product feature decsion, Netgear.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

I 100% agree !!!  One of the weekest points of this system IS the cloud starage.  Think about it.....  all a thief would have to do is disconnect your wiring at the NID (network Interface Device) on the side of your home.  Netgear should look at untilizing the USB port on the hub for back up storage.  Connect a USB thumb drive to that port, when the system sees your internet down, it sends the video to the thumbdrive.....

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

Lets face it, one of the biggest flaws of this system is the Cloud Storage.  All a "savvy thief" would have to do is disconnect some wires at your Network Interface device at the side of your home and you ability to record is lost, no internet connection = no cloud storage/live view.

My idea,  Give us the ability to attach a USB thumb drive to the USB port on the side of the Arlo Hub.  Once the hub senses that your internet connection is lost it sends/redirects all recordings to the USB Thumb drive as a backup....

Send me a SDK, I'll write the code for it...  🙂

shabbychic
Initiate

im thinking of going on a limb here and purchasing the product expecting netgear to allow local recording to the system.  Please don't let me down netgear!!!!

MikeL
Follower

I agree as well.  Cloud storage is a nice feature, but I will not buy it if it is not possible to use local storage (doesn't Netgear sell NAS devices it could use?)  High bandwidth DSL or Cable Internet is not available in my area, so I have to pay by the Gb for 3G mobile or satellite. I can't be using my data allocation up on video.

My current system uses a DVR with onboard storage and sends me a text alert on motion detection, and emails me a snapshot so I can make a decision on what to do. It also has alarm sensor inputs so various door/window/PIR sensors will trigger video capture and email it to me. I have remote access to login and view/playback video anytime.

It would be nice to have a camera that does not require any wires for power, video, or network, but it needs to integrate into my private network. Battery life and WiFi range is also a big concern. The night the battery dies could be the night something happens. This is a very large metal building. WiFi signals don't penetrate metal very well and I need to place cameras at a 100' or more radius.

Maybe the developers will consider these needs in the next version.

stgeorge
Guide

I couldn't agree with these comments more!  I've been a long-term Netgear readNAS owner / user (I currently own and operate two on my LAN) and am really surprised, being owned by Netgear, that utilizing your readyNAS isn't a feature designed into this system....

I'll hold off purchasing unless and until the option of utilizing your own NAS is added.

Thanks

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

You hear that sucking noise of the vortex that they call premium subscription ?????  Im guessing that is the reason we do not see NAS capabilities.