Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
TomMac
Guru

The reason you can't use the 3000 base as above it that the USBs in that model were never activated ( hardware and sw )... they were meant for future options which came to fruition in the next model ( 4000 )

No different from some upgrades found in a new model of any electronics

lplant
Aspirant

Great idea!  This means all videos can be remotely accessed over the web (once uploaded after the connection is restored).  Current approach of not uploading videos recorded to USB when offline:

- there's no notification the internet was offline

- you need to be on site to access the USB

LarryQwest
Star

Would be great if we could access the locally stored recordings on the USB drive remotely. Will be a critical option for Ultra users where you have no free cloud storage after a year, only fees. There is no reason the app shouldn't be able to access these recordings.