Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
GeordieDan
Star

What accounts have been hacked and access obtained to Arlo cameras? First I've heard of it?

nopi4u
Novice

Registered just to say that I was planning on getting the Alro Q, but now I am forced to look for another solution. I have limited bandwidth and cannot afford to upload/download all the time. It's a real shame. Man Sad

JamesC
Community Manager

nopi4u,

It sounds like the Arlo Q Plus would better suit your needs as it has a local storage backup feature allowing recordings to be saved to an SD card when the internet is not available.

For more information on the Arlo Q Plus, take a look here: Introducing the Arlo Q Plus™ Security Camera

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to me here or via private message and I would be happy to assist.

JamesC

Why can't you guys simply enable a file server on the hub? The USB ports are already there. It would solve alot of people's problems. You can even limit it to the free five cameras.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Ditto SilverSentintel. Why do we have to buy an addon? Arlo is already expensive enough!

ez5iron
Tutor

I100% agree !!!  One of the weekest points of this system IS the cloud starage.  Think about it.....  all a thief would have to do is disconnect your wiring at the NID (network Interface Device) on the side of your home.  Netgear should look at untilizing the USB port on the hub for back up storage.  Connect a USB thumb drive to that port, when the system sees your internet down, it sends the video to the thumbdrive.....

JamesC
Community Manager

ez5iron,

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. While I do not have any information on this particular topic at this time, we greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation.

I encourage you to continue offering valuable feedback and continue to support good ideas by giving Kudos.

Thank you,

JamesC

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

Kudos Netgear !!!!!!!!!

Looks like you used My Idea in the new Arlo Pro system.

ittroll
Apprentice

Yes the Arlo Pro base station gets this feature but the USB port on the old base station can only be used for storing dust.

Surely this feature can be added through a firmware update? Although I guess Netgear would much rather you buy a new base station - yes they are going to be selling it separately.

indigit4l
Onlooker

(In response to James C from Samsungs comment about this feature now being implemented in their Arlo Pro)

That's just terrific! That means you can implement it to the current owners and customers that would like to continue to support your line of devices. Seeing as how we have a USB port, it cannot be too difficult, can it? Surely we are not expected to buy an entirely new system, right?

For the record, I happened to miss someone who entered my home and stole from me while I was in the hospital for a couple of weeks because the recordings weren't saved with the basic plan. Never would have happened with local storage.

Seeing how no one from Samsung ever replied to us with any sort of response about implementing this feature in our current ARLO cameras... We are expecting a quick response about your expectations of how long until you can provide us with the local storage option we are asking for.

PLEASE respond back to us soon about when we can expect it, OR if you are planning on not suppporting this feature via a firmware update in the near future. Either way, please respond. Thank you.