Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
NekkedRunner
Initiate

Choose Library

View by date

Hdg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know this has been beat to death.. but I think it needs to be some more..

While Arlo is a fantastic product, some features are sorely lacking:

Geofencing

IFTT & other automation support

local storage (USB port on base station)

competition is growing quickly

Piper

Blink

Butterfleye

Ring Stick Up Cam

etc... 

Better get on the ball Netgear/Arlo!!

JamesC
Community Manager

Hdg,

Thank you for the feedback. I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and kudo the existing threads there discussing these topics.

JamesC

T9001
Star

Agree. This is a big flaw in a "security" system

CactusCal
Novice

I was ready to purchase until I read that local storage was not an option.  I will continue shopping for a product that meets my needs.

Coriolanus
Guide

For every 20 or 30 highly Kudos'd ideas in the Idea Exchange, maybe one or two will get implemented. At this point, the Idea Exchange is pointless. Even the ones with hundreds of kudos are still languishing under "Future Consideration."

WJ-GB
Fledgling

Netgear can easily add local storage surely?

This will also make the device more attractive to others...Abode security solution comes to mind...

Offline storage plus 3G and battery backup....

Acordo01
Novice

Pretty p*****. Set up everything and was ready to start recording files to my NAS and now just found out that won't work. Returning tomorrow and keep looking for a product that will allow me to do what I what I want with the hardware that paid for. If the price of the arlo was cheaper it would be attractive to compensate for the monthly service. But u can't expect to pay a premium price and not use the hardware as you like. I also wanted to just use the hardware and use whatever software I wanted to control it. Allow me to give each individual camera a static ip address and allow me the customer that bought the product decide where I want my personal videos stored. Do not make that decision for me. Give me options. Going back to the stores return bin tomorrow. Super disappointed

Appadurai
Fledgling

Both options please. I bougth the Arlo system because of their free cloud storage.

Mcase1978
Onlooker
For an open source piece of equipment, this seems very restricted. I have faculty that goes away for 4 months a year, with a very limited data plan on their home network. Having an option of cloud and/or local video recording seems like an easy and practical feature.

I understand that the video is encrypted, and I appreciate that. However, even with an unlimited data plan, having local storage would be most ideal for me.

This seems like quite a bit of greed on Netgear's part in making someone buy an expensive setup, then additionally have an exorbitant bill just to record longer than 7 days or having more storage space.

Also, what happens to this system if Netgear decides to not support these products anymore? If Netgear decides to shut down the recording servers because of operating and maintenance costs? Then everyone who purchased these units are simply out of luck and need to buy all new hardware because these would be nothing but paperweights?

I have purchased this system, 3 cameras and the base. I've been using them for the last 3 days or so, but am considering returning them unless there's a local storage feature in the plans.