Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
c_r_w
Onlooker

Huge +1. The cameras are very expensive and I appreciate the quality of the devices. However, I would prefer to keep videos of my household off of the internet. Given the expense of the cameras alone local access to the camera feeds needs to be a feature.

NekkedRunner
Initiate

System works very well. Quality great.

Only Negative and it is a BIG Negative, is that it will only save to their cloud drives.
Insecure System for a Security System.

I am not a fan of the Cloud Phenomenon in any way. Actually I hate the Cloud to be honest. Way too much information going out of my computer rather than in. 100% intrusion into my personal and private life, in all ways.

I would much prefer captures to be controlled by me as to where they get saved. Cloud saves SHOULD BE OPTIONAL.

If that means captures are inaccessible via a NetGear app, then so be it.   CHOICE.

For example:
If I or any family member accidentally get recorded on my indoor security cam, while walking around in the buff,

I do not want it saved to a NetGear Cloud Server.

That is expecting way too much TRUST in that nobody in NetGear or anywhere will have access to it.

Even after deletion,

I do not believe captures are truly DELETED from ANY Cloud servers, immediately and not recoverable.

NekkedRunner
Initiate

Hula_Rock wrote:

Lets face it, one of the biggest flaws of this system is the Cloud Storage.  All a "savvy thief" would have to do is disconnect some wires at your Network Interface device at the side of your home and you ability to record is lost, no internet connection = no cloud storage/live view.

My idea,  Give us the ability to attach a USB thumb drive to the USB port on the side of the Arlo Hub.  Once the hub senses that your internet connection is lost it sends/redirects all recordings to the USB Thumb drive as a backup....

Send me a SDK, I'll write the code for it...  🙂

System works very well. Quality great.

Only Negative and it is a BIG Negative, is that it will only save to their cloud drives.
Insecure System for a Security System.

I am not a fan of the Cloud Phenomenon in any way. Actually I hate the Cloud to be honest. Way too much information going out of my computer rather than in. 100% intrusion into my personal and private life, in all ways.

I would much prefer captures to be controlled by me as to where they get saved. Cloud saves SHOULD BE OPTIONAL.

If that means captures are inaccessible via a NetGear app, then so be it.   CHOICE.

For example:
If I or any family member accidentally get recorded on my indoor security cam, while walking around in the buff,

I do not want it saved to a NetGear Cloud Server.

That is expecting way too much TRUST in that nobody in NetGear or anywhere will have access to it.

Even after deletion,

I do not believe captures are truly DELETED from ANY Cloud servers, immediately and not recoverable.

Lobaina
Novice
I would appreciate if Netgear puts the option of using local back up on the Arlo base station using the USB ports. I have a bussiness and if the internet goes down the cameras won't be able to record. It will be beneficial to include local storage like the Blink camera.
WadeShuler
Star

This is one of the biggest flaws with the system. There is no "offline" ability. If you do not have internet, it does not work, period.

I understand the base station not having internal storage, but there SHOULD and MUST be an option to hook up your own external hard drive or flash drive.

You should also be able to access the base station within your local network and not via arlo's site.

My 2TB MyCloud network drive, has local access. I can type in the IP into my browser and access the UI, as well as access shares by the IP, map the drive to a letter, etc.

However, back on topic, this device sucks due to the "internet required" limitation.

rezaghp
Novice

not having the option to store locally is my only reason not to buy arlo otherwise it has all the features I want but this one is a deal breaker!

klsmith
Novice

Recently purchased the arlo HD security camera system and was lead to believe that recordings could be stored externally via the usb but after getting setup and reading hear it appears that this is not possible.  I am seriously thinking about taking it back to be store.

Mode1uk
Novice

Local storage a must - i bought this product with 5 cameras - I have setup 2 and they are basically little white bricks as my internet upload speed is so bad. 

They have not recorded 1 single video and i have to wait about 10 minutes for the system to "get status".

Which I had read the reviews - I honestly assumed that the cameras would work on any wifi and the internet conneciton would be irrelevant.  

Surely the option for local storage is and easy thing to add!!!!!

How long will I have to wait?

To be honest these are going to have to go back to Amazon.

Keith

Sa9aX11
Guide

Hi

Is there any Arlo software that connects locally to the camera? It could improve the video and the capture.

Ready NAS device should also have same software and has motion recording so you can record 24hr a day on the device, so you don't need to turn on the computer or access the Arlo Web Portal.

Arlo Web Portal uses the internet and as a few secs delay in video, night mode is not as good it doesn't cover a wide area, I could see only one straight line of light in the dark area.

I have a few Wireless IP Cams ($50-60 on ebay) are better in night mode I could see my whole garden, colour is poor, video is OK (640x480) but you can control the movement of the camera or software can control the camera to follow the moving object (iSpy) but they not battery operated.

Sal

jguerdat
Guru

Currently, no, no way to connect and/or save locally.