Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Save manual recordings and snapshots to Local Storage

I have an Arlo Pro Base Station and was quite surprised when setting it up that manual recordings and snapshots are not treated the same as motion-sensed files - meaning they are NOT saved to local storage. This topic has come up before in the following thread, where I learned this is by design:

Link to thread

If I'm manually recording something, either in video or snapshot, it is likely quite important to me and I strongly desire that these files be treated with the same care as motion-captured files, thereby being duplicated to local storage. If there is a reason one may not want them stored to local storage, then at least provide an option in the software so users can select local storage on/off for these manual files.

My two cents.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Ergerg
Aspirant

Following up on the above idea from 2017, the situation seems to be the same as of today (i.e. NO local saving of manual recordings or snapshots). Indeed, this is surprising and also a bit disappointing for the exact reasons given in the above post. It would be great if Arlo could reconsider this idea for the next release. In any case, I do not see any reason for not having the option of local saving of manual recordings/snapshots.

ElocinTwin
Follower

Can we finally add the Manual record and snapshot button for local storage

LTV
Follower
Follower
Arlo has spectacular equipment. I love Arlo, but the subscription to the cloud is over and now it is no longer possible to record videos / images on the base card. Anyone who has spent so much money on Arlo equipment cannot be forced to pay a subscription to be able to record videos / images manually on the base station card, when this is a basic function. Arlo please review this situation.
StephenB
Guru

@LTV wrote:
I love Arlo, but the subscription to the cloud is over and now it is no longer possible to record videos / images on the base card.

You can record to local storage w/o a paid subscription.  What base station model do you have?

LTV
Follower
Follower

When my subscription was active, a button appeared on the image of the cameras that allowed me to record video or snapshots. Now that the subscription is over, the button is gone. Arlo's technical assistance told me that manual recording is only possible with a subscription. The base station is a VMB5000.

StephenB
Guru

@LTV wrote:
Arlo's technical assistance told me that manual recording is only possible with a subscription.

That's true, and I missed the "manually" bit in your original post.

I agree this should be possible w/o a paid subscription.

Tazyman
Aspirant
This is such a sad problem for Arlo to have. With the price point being what it is and for a company that has a team of “developers” why is this still an issue? Please get this simple, necessary, and important function implemented.
LTV
Follower
Follower

Unfortunately, I feel adrift in a sea of ​​excellent technology…

I spent the money on equipment that, after all, requires a perpetual payment in order to be able to show what they are worth…

Caborick
Novice

I've just purchased a Pro 3, as I am in Mexico, there is no subscription available.  When I made the decision on this product I spoke with one of their reps and discussed where I live. Now that i have it,  I am unable to set up local storage on a usb flash drive.  No where in their documents nor their rep said say a subscription is required.  Am I wrong in not being able to set this up or is it the reality?