Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Open APIs for developers

There are many developers that would like to extend the capabilites of the cameras specifically and the system in general.  If there was an open API that would let users access their local cameras and control them that would be great.  Also, if there was a documented RESTful API to get to the data on the servers that would allow incorporating the data into a whole host of applications.  I suspect both the camera and server APIs do exist since the original developers had to use something.  If other could get at these interfaces this system could be the go to system for developers.

Comments
sully
Novice

I would like to make use of the motion detector to, for instance, turn some outside lights on when motion is detected.

Will the Arlo ever provide an API to do this?

TomMac
Guru

time will tell... there are 2 usb ports for future use ( unknown at this time ) and most companies seem to be heading towards the 'smart home' with their electronics.

sully
Novice

Well, looks like I will have to hold out until I get confirmation that the Arlo will have an API.

jerryk
Follower

There are many developers that would like to extend the capabilites of the cameras specifically and the system in general.  If there was an open API that would let users access their local cameras and control them that would be great.  Also, if there was a documented RESTful API to get to the data on the servers that would allow incorporating the data into a whole host of applications.  I suspect both the camera and server APIs do exist since the original developers had to use something.  If other could get at these interfaces this system could be the go to system for developers.

colt
Novice

Like JerryK, I really hope that NetGear publishes an API.  Also useful would be a programming method for tagging moments in the video stream with a comment or a method for fetching a unique stream identifier and timestamp in realtime such that I could set the playback starting moment based on that identifying information.

A chronic, all seeing, always seeing video surveillance tool is very cool but video-surveillance linked to business documents and phone calls is even better!

hack
Fledgling

+1 on this.  Programmer here and I would love to be able to programattically interact, not only with the system/cameras, but with the video library as well. 

Would love to programatically change the modes that the cameras are in -- a true 'away' mode for grocery store runs or whatever. 

In addition, having the logic built in from an open source community would allow people to expand on the existing system, such as 'my phone is now on my wifi, disable the cameras'.    Then other systems could be tied in as well, such as 'simplisafe' or other home monitoring systems.  One away button and the house goes into 'fortress' mode. 

McShoodam
Onlooker

Same here, I would really love an API. I am thinking of a new IP cam system that could communicate with my existing systems (Zipato for security system and Fibaro HC for comfort, lightning and roller shutters).

Each to those devices already communicate with each other using HTTP requests. and virtual devices.

At my point of view, this would be a great (and "efforlless for Netgear's devs") improvement.

In my case, I would certainly buy such a system if it was opened to oher devices.

As mentioned above in hack's post, an open source community could do great things with Arlo hardware.

By the way... why not an IFTTT channel?

brianz
Onlooker

I bought SmartThings because of their amazing open API/developer platform.  I'd love to see Arlo open their platform up even a little bit.

I'm not interested in pulling video out of the platform.  I'd simply like to make rule changes programatically.  For example, when SmartThings detects me as away from the house, this is when I'd like to trigger recording rules.

Thanks!

A simple REST API for automating actions would be splendid.

Mark708
Fledgling

Has an API been developed for Arlo?  I see that Netgear has interfaced Arlo with the Comcast Xfinity Home system.  I believe this system using the iControl gateway to control IOT devices in Comcast customer's homes.  I would like to utilize my Fibaro HC gateway controler to work with Arlo so that I can have Fibaro HC turn on lights and other things based on Arlo motion detector.  This would greatly improve night time video recording if I could have lights turned on when Arlo motion detector goes off.

The following is the artical regarding Comcast's gateway support for Arlo.

Comcast Corp. said Sept. 15 that it will add a new set of third-party devices to its Xfinity Home business.

Chamberlain MyQ garage door control device and NETGEAR Arlo wireless camera will soon join a growing list of gadgets that can be managed and controlled on the Xfinity Home platform.  Comcast expects MyQ to be integrated later this month and Arlo by early 2016. Xfinity Home is a cloud- and broadband-based platform that provides home security and automation services. The service also includes a battery back-up in the event of a power failure and cellular back-up in the event of a network interruption.