Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Open APIs for developers

There are many developers that would like to extend the capabilites of the cameras specifically and the system in general.  If there was an open API that would let users access their local cameras and control them that would be great.  Also, if there was a documented RESTful API to get to the data on the servers that would allow incorporating the data into a whole host of applications.  I suspect both the camera and server APIs do exist since the original developers had to use something.  If other could get at these interfaces this system could be the go to system for developers.

Comments
Jingxian
Novice

I like to know about the open Ali as well: is there one out there or is there any plan to develop the API? Thanks 

maal
Novice

Oh my god, NO API. Today I got my first ARLO set. The marketing stuff (all the youtube video's and so on) looked pretty good, but I really need an API to the system or at least an mjpeg stream to integrate the camera to my home automation system. How long will it take to get the promised API (first posts where on Jan 2015).

Cheers,

Matthias

jerryk wrote:

There are many developers that would like to extend the capabilites of the cameras specifically and the system in general.  If there was an open API that would let users access their local cameras and control them that would be great.  Also, if there was a documented RESTful API to get to the data on the servers that would allow incorporating the data into a whole host of applications.  I suspect both the camera and server APIs do exist since the original developers had to use something.  If other could get at these interfaces this system could be the go to system for developers.

platron
Star
+1 Like @hack, I would also like to integrate with Simplisafe (and, to be fair, I wish that Simplisafe would expose an API as well, so the coordination could be two-way).
platron
Star
Very specifically, we want a REST API with OAuth. At that point, all the other goodies, like IFTTT, follow naturally.
Rsignore
Fledgling
Provide an API so that smartthings and arvo can work together.
RobTaylorLA
Novice

I LOVE my Arlo cams... and the simple low-cost home security it has facilitate for my family. For the money, there's very little out there that can compare.

HOWEVER... to not have SOME level of "smart" integration, for such a new and impressive product, is a painfully poor product strategy. You stand on the precipice of an great product... but instead are speeding toward obsolescence, long before the product's logical life-cycle.

Here's the key point... YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO CHANGE YOUR HARDWARE - YOU JUST NEED TO TWEAK YOUR API TO ALLOW FOR SOME SIMPLE I/O TRIGGERS, AND PUSH OUT THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!  

Seriouosly, put one good software engineer on this issue for 2-3 weeks (if that) and you'll increase the product's value 5-fold, and significant extend its life-cycle, because people [like me] and smart tech developers [like SmartThings] WILL START DEVELOPING HOOKS IN/OUT OF YOUR TECHNOLOGY FOR YOU!  FREE DEVELOPMENT & PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT!  What could be better!?

kip23
Aspirant

I would love an API to be able to alter camera modes. For example, when my Indigo home control system knows nobody is home (via motion sensors), set the Arlo-Q to armed and sending notfications.

platron
Star
Browsing the SmartThings forums, I ran across this thread https://community.smartthings.com/t/netgear-arlo-mode-management-autoarlo/34617 which shows that there is an API of sorts.
hack
Fledgling

I've done some generic research around this.  I've gotten a python script that will log in, and fetch some generics around the system, however, ran into some snags around the HTTP stream that is sent when working with the various modes. 

Any other pythonista's out there want to sync up off line and contribute to a project?   (Also, not sure if this violates our EULA or not, so will need to read through that prior to continuing).

Shoot me a message and we'll exchange e-mails and get a github repo set up. 

Running through the process with a developer toolbar showing all the calls and responses makes this appear doable.

Fls
Tutor
Tutor
It's amazing to see that Netgear still provides its a products in a closed environment not opened on the rest of the world. This old way of thinking is really boring.
Hope a startup will change this soon (maybe Blink) by challenging them.