Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Offline mode, seamless recordings, expanded options, Apple HomeKit

Hello Everyone,

I have some ideas that might improve the experience of using Arlo cameras.

I would appreciate it if someone from the developers section would read this post and give it a serious attention.

1. Offline Mode:

One of the Arlo's disadvantages is that it doesn't work offline. It would be nice if the app would send the user a push notification when the Arlo is offline. Maybe something happens in the house. Beside that, if the Internet connection lost and there is still power available, the Arlo would still be able to record video and save it on the hard drive (and maybe upload it afterwards when the unit gets connected back to the Internet).

2. Seamless Recordings:

This is really annoying to have tons of recordings from the same period of time. It would be nice if the cameras would have an option (just an option, not by default) for a "seamless recording" feature, so the cameras will start recording from the time it detects motion until the time this motion stops (or 10 seconds later e.g.). This way, you will be able to see one recording of 3 minutes and not 18 different videos from the same event. BTW, you might lose some important "movements" between each individual recordings...

3. Expanded Options:

Let's say I'd want to turn on the siren when the Arlo camera detects motion, but only on daytime. I don't have this option... In addition, let's say I have couple of cameras and I want to use a different mode or a different schedule on each one of them. I don't have this option, either...

4. Apple HomeKit:

From an iPhone and iPad user's point of view, it would be nice if Arlo kit would be integrated in Apple Homekit. When this feature is enabled, iPhone and iPad users would have an option to ask Siri to switch between modes or even turn on/off the siren, and everything with just using their voice. This is only the beginning. You've bunch of opportunities.

I would like to hear what do you think about the aforementioned ideas.

If you have something to say or anything else to add, please leave a comment below.

Best,

Adir

Comments
Drake3287
Luminary

As for #2, they came out with this feature last month but had problems with it so they deleted it with a software update. Sound's like when they get the bug's worked out of it they'll offer it again.

TB75
Aspirant
Another important feature would be to have separate settings for day and night recording. Cranking up the brightness for better night time can wash out the daytime images. This could also hopefully address the issue reported where the pan&zoom night time image is so much better than the recorded images.
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: New Ideas

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Partially Implemented

Some of the ideas mentioned here have recently been implemented.

1: Local storage via the Arlo Pro base station allows for recordings to be saved to a usb device if the internet connection is lost.

2. Arlo Pro, Arlo Q/Q Plus, Arlo Baby and Arlo Go all now have the option to record until motion stops instead of a fixed duration.

3. Using the siren feature is configured within the modes/rules for your camera. If you want some cameras to utilize the siren, but not others, this can be done via custom modes/rules.