Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on only part of the view without sacrificing any of the screen

To explain this I am going to use a living room as an example.

The way it currently is set:

Put the camera in the corner of the room and catch the entire room - Fantastic!

Anyone walks into the view, it records - Fantastic!

Now say there is a glass on a table in the middle of the room. 

I can "crop" or "zoom in" on the table and the camera will shoot only that, so if someone touches the glass it records, but it only shows the table.

What I want: Show the entire room - BUT - only put the motion detection on the table, so the entire room is in the camera view but the recording only happens if someone is in the table view. This way I can see where the person went, who the person was, etc instead of potentially just the hand grabbing the glass.

Comments
yhap2003
Star

Due to this feature missing from the arlo pro and no acknowledgement from Arlo is this is in the roadmap, I will be returning mine tomorrow for the Ring stickup cam. The Ring has the solar panel which is cheaper and is available in Canada. The solar panel is only available in the US and it's expensive.

aussievc
Novice

I have the Arlo Q and really like being able to designate up to 3 zones for the motion detection since I have a dog.  I just got the Arlo Pro for outdoor use for the front of the house to include part of the street so that if there is any criminal activity I may be able to have a vehicle description. I know that the Arlo Pro allows for zoom but then it minimizes the overall viewpoint I want.  Can't the Arlo Pro have the capability of adding zones so that I can specify areas, within area of view, for motion detection without having the leaves on the trees activate notifications when it's windy? I want to keep the broader field of vision?

JamesC
Community Manager

yhap2003,

The Arlo team is still working hard to deliver new features to all existing Arlo product lines. I encourage you to continue offering your support for new ideas by adding Kudos.

JamesC

Patrik_S
Aspirant

Yes, this is realy a feature that is a must!
Specialy when the product is promoted as possible to use outside where you often has element in the view (trees and bushes) that you don't want to trigger the motionsensor.

aaronse
Aspirant

Arlo folks,

please add support for Customers to optionally define zone(s) that are taken into account when PIR triggers recording.  Goal is to filter out uninteresting video that would be ocassionally triggered by relatively infrequent traffic/tree motion.

Expecting this feature would be a great improvement for most Customers. Expect some would experience rapid battery drain if PIR is constantly triggering.  Should be possible to communicate guidance/limitations to Customers.

Thx!

Supernono
Aspirant

This feature should be standard on all of their devices.  I had zone triggers on my Dlink web cam made about 10 years ago.  I would like to view everything available in the camera view, but only record when a section of the viewing area detects movement. 

Sherm37
Novice

Yes PLEASE lets get this done I have many areas on my property that have tress that have motion detection. I am not interested in the trees.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Engineering Investigation

TFarrar505
Novice

Motion Detection Zones would be a HUGE benefit.  My cameras are constantly picking up cars driving by.

MonicaS
Tutor

On the arlo pro,We should not have to pay for the area you want covered to detect motion, I get so many hits of trees movement from the trees it self and from shadows. I do have another camera facing out window and its part of the camera no pay to hide false movement.