Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on only part of the view without sacrificing any of the screen

To explain this I am going to use a living room as an example.

The way it currently is set:

Put the camera in the corner of the room and catch the entire room - Fantastic!

Anyone walks into the view, it records - Fantastic!

Now say there is a glass on a table in the middle of the room. 

I can "crop" or "zoom in" on the table and the camera will shoot only that, so if someone touches the glass it records, but it only shows the table.

What I want: Show the entire room - BUT - only put the motion detection on the table, so the entire room is in the camera view but the recording only happens if someone is in the table view. This way I can see where the person went, who the person was, etc instead of potentially just the hand grabbing the glass.

Comments
captnbob22
Novice

A great enhancement to the software would be to turn the camaras on to LIVE when motion is detected, much like the way the recordings are made.

gobbledygook
Fledgling

Good idea, jazzfog.

Arlo, if the arbitrary areas are too complex to implement, how about a grid or graph-like overlay in which individual squares could be selected or de-selected to create personalized motion detection areas?

spiderzaur
Tutor

This feature will make the Arlo most powerful cam out there, no doubt.

+1000

bkushner
Aspirant

I would like to see a way to set motion detection area seperate from entire view. This way I could view entire area but only motion detect a part of it.

Cediss
Fledgling
We absolutely need to be able to highlight zones. As others indicate, my Arlo camera detects tai lights and tired of cars passing in the street. This is generally a pretty standard feature on most cameras and is a must to preserve battery life and waste of my time reviewing videos.
kebian
Aspirant

Yes it would be nice to be able to invert the logic on activity zones so that movement in those zones is ignored rather than used as a trigger.

Max8088
Initiate
It would be great if in each camera setting, you could drag out a box area to determine the region within a camera view to use for motion detection. Areas outside this region. It still within the frame would still record,but not be considered for motion detection.
eh3074
Novice

That feature would make this camera system way more appealing.

ittroll
Apprentice

Motion detection and alerts performed by the PIR sensor not the camera. 

CJ180
Star

I don't see why smart zone functionality can't be done in the cloud.

I know that the Arlo Pro/Wire free is in sleep mode most of the time to save battery and then when activity is sensed by the PIR the camera is woken to start recording (apparently within 150 nano seconds with the Arlo Pro). Once the camera is woken and it starts sending images to the Arlo servers the images will be analysed for humans/dogs/cars/whatever (for the Arlo Pro) and then the object detection will decide whether to send an alert or record etc. I don't see why setting a smart zone can't be done in the cloud at the same time as the object detection. This way we will still get smart zone detection but the cameras do not have to be on 24/7. This could be a software upgrade/solution done at the server end. This could also be done for the current Arlo wire free as well.

Activity zones could be toggled on/off for each cameras that are in fixed positions only.  Obviously if the camera is moved these would have to be reset.  But most cameras would only be moved to change batteries anyway.

Just an idea for Netgear to consider if they haven't already.  I had posted this in a reply about Arlo Pro zones but I think it could be an idea that could be used for both Arlo Pro and Arlo wire free.