Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on only part of the view without sacrificing any of the screen

To explain this I am going to use a living room as an example.

The way it currently is set:

Put the camera in the corner of the room and catch the entire room - Fantastic!

Anyone walks into the view, it records - Fantastic!

Now say there is a glass on a table in the middle of the room. 

I can "crop" or "zoom in" on the table and the camera will shoot only that, so if someone touches the glass it records, but it only shows the table.

What I want: Show the entire room - BUT - only put the motion detection on the table, so the entire room is in the camera view but the recording only happens if someone is in the table view. This way I can see where the person went, who the person was, etc instead of potentially just the hand grabbing the glass.

Comments
urzaseye
Guide

One idea I've seen posted here is that we should be able to map specific areas of the camera's field of vision for motion detection -- so if you have a camera outside where trees and bushes might blow in the wind, you could program the camera to ignore those areas. I think that's a great idea but have no idea whether that's likely to be implemented anytime soon or not.

If such a thing is NOT likely to be added in the near future, there's one tweak that could be helpful for now. It'd be nice if you could get a sensitivity rating displayed in the corner of the playback window. For instance, I have a camera positioned outside my front door that is set to a motion sensitivity of 80. But what is that? When the tree in the corner of the frame starts blowing in the wind and sets off the motion detection, what was the score for that motion? 81? 24? If I want to nudge the motion sensitivity down a bit so that it's still likely to be effective but might better ignore flapping foliage, it'd be helpful to have some numeric data on hand so I can decide if there is a better sensitivity rating I could use.

Wingman01
Novice

Great idea. Please implement

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

much needed!!!

kongee
Aspirant
Hi Netgear team, any update if this feature will be coming soon?
JamesC
Community Manager

I do not currently have any information on the implementation of this idea. I encourage community members to continue supporting this idea by adding kudos if you would like to see this feature in the future.

JamesC

frantney
Novice

great product but it would help to have montion/active zone so you can exclute tree etc from the motion dection area/zone

Jshoe
Apprentice

My property is surrounded by trees... I always get recordings of tree shadows.... I have adjusted the camera so much. Still doesn't help. I shouldn't have to cut down my trees for this product to work properly.

GreenFury
Fledgling

I have a few issues and suggestions. I currently use 2 camera’s to monitor a room where we keep our tools, I don’t like that these camera’s only record upon initial motion detection and then continue to record throughout the set time.  Is there a way or can you include an option to only record when motion is detected and when there is no motion turn off. 

There also should be an option to record to a networked hard drive instead an external or your cloud, we have a server here that could hold the footage but I am forced to use your cloud and after 2 weeks of footage without warning it deletes the footage and records new, it would be nice to at least get a notification or email that the cloud is running out of space.

Here is where it gets frustrating, I went on vacation for 2 weeks, came back and only have 1 week of footage and I as I look through it detects motion of someone coming in, grabbing what they need and walking out and then recording an empty room, the time differs because some people can find the tools they need faster than others so I can't set it to a set time.

Molurus93
Aspirant

Dear GreenFury,

For your situatie i think the Arlo Q is best suited.. it can record 27/4 and with subscription can save video's up to 30 days.

GreenFury
Fledgling

Unfortunately Molurus93, I already purchased the other ones...