Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
WebDancer
Apprentice

@JessicaP 

Thank you so much for hearing your users,  and most importantly,  restoring my trust and confidence in Arlo.  👍

pjama
Luminary

@JessicaP and Arlo in general

Thanks for acknowledging that Arlo are actually listening. It's a chance for Arlo to pick up their act and regain some credibility as it's in tatters ATM. It was mentioned quite some time back that Arlo were looking into at least including PCs as trusted devices but it's been a long time coming with no updates or action. And then to enforce this half backed solution on already disgruntled users is just terrible public relations.

Having said that, my 2FA has STOPPED working as in I'm now not getting a notification to my trusted device when trying to log in from my PC. I've tried a few times on two different accounts (and sites) and no go. This really isn't a good look. I'll give it some time but it looks like I will HAVE to turn off 2FA which really isn't the answer either.

Come on Arlo. Please... get your act together. You've got a great product just put some rigor into your development and implementation.

FWIW, I DON'T think 2FA should be compulsory. It should be heavily encouraged but if you're going to enforce it, at least have the ability to have multiple trusted devices. My biggest fear is if I were to lose/break/otherwise_disable my one and only trusted device, particularly in an emergency, I would not have access to my arlo cameras.

johnftr
Initiate

Finally - and thank heavens I can finally disable 2FA again. WHAT  A DIFFERENCE!

Thanks to the Arlo support engineers for allowing users to select weather or not they want 2fa on a Windows PC.   Please note: There is a use-case for Windows PCs that is somewhat unique.   An organization or company may be using Arlo cameras to monitor a warehouse, or livestock, or something of value.  Different people use the same PC tied to the Arlo cameras to do this monitoring.  By forcing 2fa, and not allowing the PC to be seen as a "trusted device" it makes the task of monitoring very difficult.  Why?  Because the 2fa forces authentication thru a personal device, like a cell phone or a tablet, or a personal email address - whereas in an organization, many people, at different times in the day, may be using the same PC workstation to monitor the Arlo cameras.   This is why it is so important to allow the PC to be seen as a "trusted device."  In this particular use-case, there isn't one single user that needs access to the cameras - so authenticating thru a personal cell phone, or thru a personal e-mail address, is not going to work properly.  Please think about this use-case - as it is a normal way Arlo cameras are used in real life.

Good points, but, to add to the complications, some "corporates" will not allow the use of any device on their networks that does not demand 2FA. They may or may not accept a PC as a trusted device.

Many financial organisations will not accept a PC. They insist on an intermediate verification through something like a mobile phone.

The key is to have options.

DarleneWarren05
Fledgling

I, too, am disappointed that I cannot make my stationary desktop a trusted device -- it's not like I'm going to carry it around outside of my home.  
Anyway, one thing that has helped me with this problem is:  I changed my access code from my cell phone to my e-mail address.  It's still annoying, but not as much as hunting for my cell phone.

Please add desktop and laptops as a trusted device SOON!  I was thinking of going with a different security system because of this.

dcfox1
Master

You can now turn off @2FA on a PC on the web site until they make a PC a trusted device. 

secaz
Virtuoso

Thought it felt chilly - hell froze over because Arlo actually did something their customers complained about.

I'm certain the only reason they did was because they were violating the ADA.

Don't get too attached to this ability to turn off 2FA... they will just again take it away...

GrumpyAntiArlo
Initiate

I spoke to the CEO of Arlo who has assured me that 2FA will not be mandatory unless it is fully supported by PCs. He ordered the roll back that we are all enjoying.

Star

I started this thread over a year ago and I didn't expect this kind of response. While the issue hasn't been fixed yet, it does seem that Arlo management is listening. I appreciate all of the support from my fellow Arlo users.  Lets hope Arlo follows through and continues to hear us.