Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
SomeSortOfUser
Fledgling

Hi Arlo team,

We use several devices to log in to our Arlo Baby to check on our baby, depending on who's home and which devices are charged. Lately we've been trying to stream the Arlo feed consistently on a PC. Unfortunately, sometimes the connection drops due to the large amount of wifi routers with conflicting signals in our densely packed neighborhood (can't be helped; all wifi frequencies are used by multiple devices within range). That wouldn't be much of a problem, except that the Arlo Web Portal automatically logs us out if the connection becomes too unstable, or if any of us accidentally still had the Arlo app open on a smartphone or tablet and activate it. You can't add a PC or browser as a trusted device, so every time this happens I need to put another verification code in, which gets really annoying very quickly. I don't see why my private PC would be any less trustworthy than my smartphone. Can the option to add a PC or browser as a trusted device be added?

billyvalerie
Novice

Enable a feature so I can access Arlo on my laptop.  The screen is bigger and easier for me to check my cameras.  I do not like this change as it is.

hennesbe
Star

You can view your Arlo on your laptop, at least if you have a MAC.

It's just one more step of waiting for the security code.

I was annoyed at first that we could only have one devise but

I don't mind keying in the 6 digit code.  Actually its helped with my number retention process.

Rwatking
Guide

a) I don't have a MAC!

b) I don't need mind bending exercises!

c) I just need to access my camera without any fuss and in as easy a manner as possible

WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snooplsm
Onlooker

Just keep me logged in.  Logging me out of my security camera system on the desktop is pointless.  Like if I was a police station do I want my cops logging in every 45 minutes? No.  I want them to only log in once and maybe when their shift is over they can log out.  I tried to initiate a return of my devices, we will see how that goes.

ddwhatley
Aspirant

Arlo is not going to do anything about this issue. It has been out there for years now. It only hit a critical point when Arlo began requiring 2FA from all devices, including PC's, to log in. Arlo did not create the 2FA software, they're not capable of it. After spinning off from Netgear, Arlo is only a holding and marketing company. Arlo licenses the 2FA modules from another, actual, developer company. There is no revenue for Arlo in having the developer modify or replace the 2FA modules. They already have my money, they already have yours. It is not a hard mod. As many have pointed out, plenty of other 2FA apps, for PC's, with "trusted device" recognition. The only thing Arlo will do is allow us to post rants on this message board. They will assign some entry level intern to periodically (perhaps, twice a year) respond, generally on this forum.

Yep, either keeping browsers logged in or making them a "known device" would be good solutions.  Note the distinction a "known device" is not a "trusted device."

Anyone know if arlo has changed or improved it in the past few months? 

snooplsm
Onlooker

@ddwhatley what app do you use on the desktop (mac)?

ddwhatley
Aspirant

I use the Arlo app, on a Windows PC. That's the only app you can use with Arlo. To my knowledge, they haven't published the APIs or made it open-source. (Don't see that happening either.)

When I said "...plenty of other 2FA apps...", I meant for other types of software. It would great if Arlo had alternate versions of their software. But, no.

I think the shortcut being mentioned is related to macos and the continuity feature (getting the 2FA code on mac via messages app).  That lessens the burden (for mac users - about 17% of all desktop operating systems) but doesn't fix the issue.