Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
Reddogdd
Onlooker

Your case has been updated.

Subject: Unable to access devices on web portal

Case Update
Hi

Thank you for contacting Arlo Email Support.

I have received your response and based on your description, you are unable to add your computers/laptops as your trusted device. I apologize for the delayed response, I will be taking over your case on behalf of my colleague.

I am aware that you are having an issues when sending code as push notification that is why you changed it to SMS instead. Please know that computers/laptops cannot be added as your trusted device, only phone, iPad and tablet.For this matter, I humbly suggest to post your ideas to add the computer/laptop as trusted device using the link below so it can easily be heard by our development team. Some of the features in Arlo system were also suggested by our customer through this forum.

Ideas exchange link:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/arlo-idea-exchange

I cannot get the push notification to work with my phone or email and as you can see above, they have no answer.  This sure isn't Fake News - it is my reality. I am glad that some are able to use email but that hasn't worked for me.

Arlo is now the most annoying website to use through a browser.  You should not have to 2fa each visit to the site.  I hope they implement a fix quickly or delay 2fa.  This is unusable.  I understand sometimes having to reauthenticate a browser occasionally, but not every time I visit the site.  Additionally it makes it more cumbersome and time consuming to quickly check cameras via the browser on an alert.

Perhaps "trusted device" is the wrong terminology.  Perhaps "Known device" is better?  "Trusted devices"(phones, tablets) can verify 2fa, "known devices" (browsers) don't require continuous 2fa.

LeonBall
Aspirant

If is very frustrating having to enter the sms code every time I login to your windows interface.  Why can't you allow a PC to be a trusted device. again

hennesbe
Star

I see a number of requests to have multiple devises as Trusted.  I would too.  I use the Mac Air often and would like to have it as a trusted devise as well as the iPhone.

kheland
Aspirant

I agree wholeheartedly. No one can logon to my laptop except me and it is at my home except when I am traveling and then it is in my possession. Users should be able to save their pcs as trusted devices.

BetaCygni
Aspirant

The deadline of 9/30/20 has passed and I'm not required to use 2-factor authentication to log in, so I guess Arlo decided to wait to force users to do this for now.

Hopefully that means they are going to wait until they can implement a PC/Mac as a trusted device like all other security-oriented websites (like banks) do.

It would have been nice for them to send out a message about this like they did when they said 2-factor authentication was coming.

hennesbe
Star

I see the comment that someone indicates they don't have to use the 2-factor to log in.  I was required to do so this morning on my MAC.  That's somewhat confusing statement.

I can go along with the 2-factor log on if Arlo is experiencing hackers.

I set up my phone as a trusted devise.

I do get txt msgs on my MAC so it's really not a big deal signing in from the MAC.  

I get the txt msg at the top of the screen with the code that I just enter into the log on without having to grab the phone

BetaCygni
Aspirant

I just tried it again from another PC. I wasn't required to use 2-factor authentication.

I went to my settings and 2-factor authentication was still turned off.

I didn't try turning it on because I'm worried that they might not let me turn it off again.

ScotCamera
Luminary

I see a banner on the top of Arlo's Community Home page that says 2-factor starts on Oct 31. Funny they only show it there and no where else...