Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Large auxiliary battery capacity for cameras

I purchase a Arlo Go camera and solar panel for my storage barn.  I don't have electricity or internet there, and this is the only option available for Verizon, so this seemed to be the best solution.  I mistakenly assumed that the solar panel would charge the camera during the winter, but the charging ability doesn't operate at cold temperatures.  Being in northern Michigan, this is a problem as I am remote from the storage barn and can't swap camera batteries frequently when it is cold.  The current batteries don't last long enough to not go dead between my ability to get there.

I have the ability to set one or more 12v automotive batteries inside the storage barn to support a long-term power supply to the camera.  What I need is a device to regulate the power to the proper voltage and a harness to the camera.  This assumes the camera will allow this external source or if it will shut it off when the temperature drops.

I'm looking for this device or an alternate mass storage battery that will keep my camera powered for months.

Comments
TomMac
Guru

12v car battery and an adapter that is usb for autos...one good for about 1.5a or better. ( like a phone charger for cars )

Since a stock battery is about 3.6ahr, while a car battery runs about 80 to 100 ahrs you should get a while out of one before charge

if possible use a deep cycle type over reg car battery for longer life

StephenB
Guru

This comes up fairly regularly, and I think there would be interest in Arlo powerbank accessories that could extend the battery life of the cameras.  It'd be ideal if they could also be trickle-charged with a solar panel.

MichiganRob
Follower

If I hook the camera up to the car or deep cycle battery, will the camera allow it to keep the camera battery charged when its cold?  I have it hooked up to a solar panel now and the camera won't allow the battery to be charged by it.  I would assume this same situation would occur with the camera hooked up to the car battery.  Before I head down this path, does anyone know if I will be successful?

StephenB
Guru

>>>

If I hook the camera up to the car or deep cycle battery, will the camera allow it to keep the camera battery charged when its cold? 

>>>

The battery won't charge below 32F no matter what.

The car/deep cycle battery will power the camera below that temperature down to -4 (or perhaps somewhat lower).  Several folks here have reported that the camera will run at lower temps than -4 if you remove the lithium battery in side - not something I've done myself.