Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geolocation / IFTTT custom modes / improvements

Hi,

I am genuinely excited to see geolocation and IFTTT has been implemented, and yes I know its still 'Beta' but while it is still work in progress i would like to suggest a couple of improvements....

1) You need to support multiple devices. it makes no sense to have the cameras arm as I leave for work, only to get tons of videos of my wife leaving 10 minutes later.

You need to check for all devices to be out of the area before arming the cameras.

2) It should be possible to schedule 'geolocation' control.

Currently geolocation cannot be included in the schedule, which means i need to change the mode manually if like me you set them on during the night when you go to bed.

3) IFTTT - support 'custom' modes.

Currently you can only choose the standard armed or disarmed modes, you need to include for custom modes as well as being able to select gelolocation mode..

This would mean you could use the 'do' trigger to change mode quickly, helping to ease the pain of issue 2.

Overall though i have to say i am impressed with the additional functionality, but please Netgear, keep us informed of what you are working on!!!!

Kind Regards

Nick

Comments
Brutus5485
Onlooker

I can't recommend this functionality more. This has been suggested on Arlo ideas forum since 2016 and yet two years later there is no further development. The following actions, at the very least, need adding to the IFTTT and Stringify IoT apps.

Arm *ALREADY EXISTS*

Disarm *ALREADY EXISTS*
Record video *ALREADY EXISTS*
Geofencing *NEEDS ADDING*

Scheduling *NEEDS ADDING*
Custom Modes (dropdown for modes) *NEEDS ADDING*

I just can't believe this hasn't been addressed. Come on Arlo and Netgear. 

chrisngrod
Apprentice

Just jumping in to request the same as everyone else.  Enable some sort of custom mode functionality.  

Since everyone names it something different at least make a variable like a number that can be assigned to IFTTT or something else.

Perhaps enable 3 custom modes that can be used with them at least.  Then you could hard code in the first 3 custom modes whatever they might be for everyone.  Not a programmer, but in theory this seems plausibile.  

Thank you

RC0001
Tutor

Well.. it's great to let netgear know that we want this feature. But please also fill out the following form to let ifttt know.

https://ifttt.com/improvements/services/arlo

edgar2002
Novice

One more !

I just bought Arlo Pro 2 and I've tried genuine geofencing mode and it appears working one time out of ten.

So I turned to IFTTT that working perfectly.

However there's no possibility to arm/disarm custom mode that is big issue for such a costly system !

Since 2 years this request is open Netgear Support is really not up to the task !

Dgrant69
Novice

I know this may not be helpful to all, but a developer on Smartthings added support for setting custom modes.  The app is called ArloPilot.  Once you work through some of the capitalization challenges it works great.  For none Smartthings users this means that the API exists and is exposed, you can check it out the Github for the app.

BWat
Novice
I am tired of missing critical footage where I could have captured a face if only the camera was recording a few seconds earlier. I have a camera at driveway and also one in my courtyard near the front door. Allow me to set up custom rules in IFTTT. Example is IF motion detected in driveway start recording on courtyard as well.

2 years later and we still don't have a way to switch back to schedule with IFTTT. All I want to do is arm my entire house all at once with IFTTT and then when I get back home Arlo goes into Schedule. Seems simple. But currently, its either ALL OFF or ALL ON. 

Let's face it. The ARLO Geofencing is not as good as other IFTTT solutions.  

I want IFTTT to handle if I am HOME/AWAY. Currently, IFTTT only allows on or off.  I want to leave my house and have ARLO cameras ARMED. But when I come home I want my front porch to stay on. And I want my back porch to turn on at night. 

There are plenty of ways to control a house with IFTTT. But for years ARLO has never had a solution to add the Schedule Mode to IFTTT. I understand custom modes could be difficult to add. But Schedule mode is not a custom mode it can't be deleted.

Still waiting. 

This should not be a novel idea. I want my front porch to always be monitoring. And when I leave my house all cameras monitor. But currently, its either on or off. What gives?

Piblip
Fledgling

God yes, there are so many things that this would ahieve. I would settle for the possibility in Google Assistant (integration does not really work at all), Homey (integration not available) or IFTT (Integration there but missing custom modes)

If any of these were fixed to enable custom modes it would be able to properly automate monitoring of my house. What I want to do is:

When I arm my alarm, arm Arlo cameras for audio and movement.
When I arm the shell protection for my house in the evening. Arm my garage and porch camera to record and notify when movement is detected.
Custom modes access in IFTT would solve this!

Purchased arlo a month ago and IFTT + Google assistant was one of the major reasons for choosing arlo. Seeing that these integratins are sparse at best made me slighly dissapointed.

But!.. keeping up hope. Come on guys!