Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Friend restrictions and monitoring

Hi!

I run a small home daycare and this is what I use my system (mostly) for. I also have pets, so if I go away, I will be using it for a pet cam. So far I am impressed with the quality and simple interface of this system. For the most part it has all the features that I need. I'm use to an interface that is highly customizable which made the owner/admin responsible for every little setting, creating and maintaining logins, etc. So, there's something to be said for simplicity. What I would LOVE to see is: 1) The ability to make a "friend's schedule". I feel like, as the administrator and owner of the system I should be able to login at any time and stream video. However, I would like to limit when my friends are allowed to access the camera, kind of like the motion detection schedule where, during certain times of the day, you can program it to detect motion and other times it's off. Except it would be for viewing. It shouldn't be an all or nothing access. For example, if I have daycare children in my house between the hours of 7am and 6pm I should be able to set it so that friends can only view between those hours. What would be even more useful is the ability to assign groups with different friend schedules, but that could come later. 2) The ability for the administrator to see who's logged onto the system to monitor use by friends/clients. I feel like this is especially important when using this system as a baby cam, nanny cam, or daycare cam. The camera I had before had both of these features but the sytem and configuration, for the admin, was complicated and cumbersome. I hope you see the value in what I've described here and offer these features soon. I believe adding these extra features would make this system almost PERFECT!

Thanks!

Roxanne R 

Comments
W329
Initiate

There should be additional options to restrict what one allows a friend account to view when sharing access. Library should have the option to restrict for certain times (such as all past recordings from the date you allow the friend access to perhaps restricting entirely). The CVR should also have the option to turn off for friend accounts without having to remove access from that cam completely.  I do love these security cams, and the apps and software are superb for me, but these additional features would be most appreciated, and I'd even pay for them as an upgrade.

W329
Initiate

There should be additional options to restrict what one allows a friend account to view when sharing access. Library should have the option to restrict for certain times (such as all past recordings from the date you allow the friend access to perhaps restricting entirely). The CVR should also have the option to turn off for friend accounts without having to remove access from that cam completely.  I do love these security cams, and the apps and software are superb for me, but these additional features would be most appreciated, and I'd even pay for them as an upgrade.

good idea. 

I'd also like the ability to disable friends access to cameras at scheduled times, including the live feeds.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

tfunkster200
Guide

Hi,

My husband and I purchased our system to monitor carenurses and our father who has late stage Alzheimer's when we are not there.  My husband is system Admin and I am set up as a "friend".  We are currently having issues with the system; cameras not recording, camera is recording out of sequence time stamps (ex. 8:00am, 7:15am, 8:30am, 7:45am), system needs to be rebooted remotely, video recording lag time.   My husband is not tech savy and has a hard time understanding how to get into the pages "under" the Device" to reboot or where to go make a recording rule or change camera settings. There are several times, we have situations with Dad's actions we need a better video quality for the Doctor (I have it on battery saver, our batteries only last 5 days). Or, this last caregiver was caught leaving, and the camera rule needed to be changed because of the lag, to document the action.  Currently, I have him log out so I can utilize his account to make the changes or to see if I can reset the system remotely. Due to my husband's locations where he works (logger) he has limited or no signal and can't access the base station at times. But if he can't access the station to log out, I can't do anything and that makes our situation potentionally dangerous.  My suggestion is that there be an option to allow a "friend" to have full admin rights.

Thanks,

Tara

jult
Star

I would very much prefer to restrict access for friends to drain the batteries by viewing or recording live.

They may view/download the videos that are in the Library, but for the live viewing, naa, I'd rather not allow that.

Could you build that little extra in the next firmware/software please?

JamesC
Community Manager

More control options within the Grant Access feature is a great idea. I will relocate this post to the Arlo Idea Exchange so that it receives proper exposure.

Thank you for your contribution,

JameC

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Duplicate

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: New Ideas

Leeshala
Novice
I completely agree with the need for this functionality. I use my camera as a pet cam and my parents enjoy checking in on the dog too. I however would prefer them not to have access when I'm home.