Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

FEATURE REQUEST: Disable cloud recording in favor of local storage

LIKE THIS IF YOU ALSO WANT THIS FEATURE:

I'd like to disable cloud recording when using local storage to SD for many reasons, but the top two are:

1) It seems like EVERY website gets hacked eventually. I don't want recordings of inside or outside my home being leaked out on the Internet.

2) I'm limited to a certain amount of bandwidth every month through our ISP, and lately I've been exceeding my quota which means additional overage fees. Arlo video may or may not be contributing to that, but I'd like to stop uploads so I can be sure.

(BTW... I know this has been asked as a question in the community before and shut down by super users. This is not a question of whether or not this is possible. This is a feature request to the Arlo team.)

I'm using Arlo VMB5000 with Arlo Pro 2 cameras

Comments
Varq
Novice

Been shopping around online for security cameras. Really like the features of the Arlo Ultra.

However, we live in an area of spotty/slow internet and limited bandwidth. Using the cloud for storage is a no-go. I have an ASUSTOR NAS that I want my cameras to work with. So, hopefully this feature gets developed soon. I'd like to install this in the coming year.

fatkatsupra1
Novice
Please add a software switch so a user can choose what cameras if any upload to the cloud. I have a very slow LTE connection and I need my bandwith for my kids to do school and not used everytime a car drives by. I have local storage which I would like to use as primary.
ApprenticeHuman
Follower

Just to say thanks for this thread. I just canceled my trial subscription to Arlo's cloud and I'm now relying on just the base station. Upload to the cloud is too slow due to bandwidth issues, like others have mentioned.

Also I'm not comfortable spending a recurring amount for something I may only need once every 5 years.

Mike456
Fledgling

I have Pro 2 cameras since a couple of years and appreciate the system with 7 days free storage in the cloud. To get more cameras I just bought 3 Ultra. To my surprise I learned that the cameras will not work without a subscription of 120 $ a year. Local storage is possible but without thumbnails its not an option of course (to blindely download files everyday to see if something has happen). 

If I use the cameras for say five years it costs 600 $ to work AND I have also paid 700 $ for the Ultras (and 400 $ for the Pro 2). It ads up to 1700 $ to have a look on my backyard. Its simply too expensive. I’ll return the Ultras. Would keep them if Arlo accepted 7 day cloud storage free for the new cameras aswell or offered local storage remotely accesible with thumbnails. But I doubt that will happen in near future...

ApprenticeHuman
Follower

You can have local recordings but it stops after a few minutes. This is with an Ultra 2 and the base station with a 1Gb SD card.

I have ticket 42363165 for this but response from Arlo has been less than stellar.

See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jDEDEKV7phtYQQNXt6QtAH27ciiqWoOcV5qIL-lUf1k for a full list of my issues and a serious lack of action. Today will be the 3rd work day with no update.

dougblair
Apprentice

I love this suggestion, with an additional bit of spin. Seems to me that one of the first things a "bad actor" will do on the way to breaking into your home or business would be to cut the cable or DSL line. In the middle of the night (assume a traditional 3:00AM burglary) no one would notice if the cable goes out. The local storage is the only record of what happens while only the cameras a watching.

I like the Arlo philosophy - independent self-powered, weatherproof cameras, easy to set up, sleek design, good motion sensing, excellent image quality, autonomous recording -  but what happens if there's no place to save the pictures? 

I am not so concerned with the ability to opt-out of the cloud (security considerations not withstanding) as I am to be able to insist on a local, even if only temporary, copy of the data.  

StephenB
Guru
@dougblair  wrote:

I am not so concerned with the ability to opt-out of the cloud (security considerations not withstanding) as I am to be able to insist on a local, even if only temporary, copy of the data.

You already get recordings in local storage with any base that has a USB or SD card slot, and works even when there is no internet connection.  

ApprenticeHuman
Follower

No, local recording only works when there is an internet connection.

For all my issues see

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jDEDEKV7phtYQQNXt6QtAH27ciiqWoOcV5qIL-lUf1k

StephenB
Guru
@ApprenticeHuman wrote:

No, local recording only works when there is an internet connection.

I just confirmed that local recordings are stored on my VMB5000 when its ethernet is disconnected.