Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

FEATURE REQUEST: Disable cloud recording in favor of local storage

LIKE THIS IF YOU ALSO WANT THIS FEATURE:

I'd like to disable cloud recording when using local storage to SD for many reasons, but the top two are:

1) It seems like EVERY website gets hacked eventually. I don't want recordings of inside or outside my home being leaked out on the Internet.

2) I'm limited to a certain amount of bandwidth every month through our ISP, and lately I've been exceeding my quota which means additional overage fees. Arlo video may or may not be contributing to that, but I'd like to stop uploads so I can be sure.

(BTW... I know this has been asked as a question in the community before and shut down by super users. This is not a question of whether or not this is possible. This is a feature request to the Arlo team.)

I'm using Arlo VMB5000 with Arlo Pro 2 cameras

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

nateb75
Onlooker

I would settle for local CVR and only upload events to the cloud.

StephenB
Guru

IMO, users should be able to opt out of cloud storage on a camera by camera basis.  This of course is already possible with the newer cameras that require a paid subscription for storage.   But it should also be possible with  the older cameras that include 7 days of cloud storage.

I don't personally see much security benefit though, since if the Arlo Cloud is hacked, the hacker could live stream our cameras.  The upload bandwidth cap is a more compelling use case for me.

bradhad
Fledgling

I recently purchased an Arlo 5 camera system and debating whether to return it. I just discovered I am unable to store CVR locally.  I was told I would have to purchase a subscription for this feature and as stated above I wanted store video locally, possibly events to the cloud, without have to pay for subscriptions, have video in the cloud and not to mention, not having enough bandwidth to do this for 5/6 camera's.  If i was told incorrectly please let me know before returning.  Or if developers have any insight on future software releases allowing this let us know.

StephenB
Guru

>>>

I recently purchased an Arlo 5 camera system and debating whether to return it. I just discovered I am unable to store CVR locally.  I was told I would have to purchase a subscription for this feature and as stated above I wanted store video locally,

>>>

@bradhad: You were misinformed.  CVR does require a subscription, but the Arlo solution doesn't support local storage of CVR.

ozskywalker
Follower

This doesn't make much sense - if your concern is about cloud security, but you're implementing a camera setup that is managed via a cloud / SaaS-based solution with the Arlo Hub acting as the agent for that cloud solution, then having CVR locally for security reasons but not management doesn't make sense.

Sounds like your requirements should dictate something intended for on-premise only use, with remote access, instead of a cloud-managed solution like Arlo.

nateb75
Onlooker

My reason for local CVR is to reduce the internet usage. I would be ok with full encrypted cloud stlorage for CVR if my internet connection was free.

juit
Fledgling

so they are just giving stupid excuses not to do this? it will be just add some tools to the app

Jsm85
Onlooker

@JessicaP has this feature request been reviewed internally? Do you have any feedback?

This sounds like a reasonable feature request. 

ElocinTwin
Follower

great idea