Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend Range of Cameras (via repeaters)

So far, I love Arlo.  I live in the forest and have a lot of land and distance is what is limiting from creating a security system with Arlo like I truly desire.  If Arlo had a camera/base-station repeater(s) that would extend the range of the cameras and basestation, I feel like it would open up a lot more possibilities.  This would allow you in theory to have many different line of site repeaters between the camera and the base station which would allow you to have cameras over much larger distances.  This would be awesome and really really hope that something like this comes out for Arlo.

Comments

Arlo's new Essentials camera, and the Floodlight Pro 3, do not need a hub. They can connect to a wifi access point. They can also work alongside other cameras, including "hubbed" devices, when it comes to triggering cross actions. But without a hub you do not have local recordings, just cloud storage.

mgage1906
Fledgling

Yeah I just saw that which is great, but when you have the cameras integrated into Homekit, the Wi-Fi cameras like those do not integrate unless they are connected to a hub. It’s like a catch 22. I think both of those have to be hub connected to work with homekit. NOW, if that’s not the case and I connect directly to Wi-Fi and still use them in homekit I’m buying the floodlight camera TODAY! Does anybody know if that’s the case?

Nonia
Follower

Hi

These are some thoughts I've had

-DNS over TLS

-VPN to Arlo servers directly from cameras

-AI training for camera. There are thousands of movements with no meaningful added information - particularly from wind and plant movement - you could use these thousands of identical movements to train the camera what is normal so it can detect as soon as something is not. Consistent repeatable content and movement can be used to build up a statistical probability chart (or a desensitiztion chart) which will ignore everything until something occurs outside of those parameters. This should be running on the cameras all of the time. It will save battery and it will save storage costs.

-Periodic tests between camera and router to confirm camera is fully functional and properly attached - if not the power gets cycled on the camera.

-Utility on router and cameras to identify interference and hacking attempts and recording this information for authorities

- adapter which can be connected to Power over Ethernet so the camera doesn't have to be wireless but defaults to wireless if there are problems with the wired connection. Also the camera battery stays charged and prepared in case of a power outage.

- Connection options. I want to be able to install additional cameras just for the motion activated lights. I also want to be able to add extra hubs for the cameras where the wireless signal strength is not strong and to give cameras a point to fail to should one router fail for any reason. I'd like the option to add a 3g/4g account to a router should the home internet drop out for any reason. I would like all devices including routers to have options for internal batteries for power drop outs with options to keep all devices fully charged. With a dual battery system it would be possible to change one battery out while the other is still providing power. Those new batteries Tesla has developed may be a good fit if redesigned. Push up from the bottom of the casing.  I don't want to be charged for all of the devices - just the devices which are active at one time.  I'd like to be  able to shift what the active device is.  I don't want to pay for cameras being used as motion sensor lights and redundant routers to ensure strong signal connection at various points.

- I'm designing a suitable fence mount or pole mount enclosure which waterproofs and windproofs the camera without blocking any functionality, takes into account the wide view angle and also allows for appropriate placement of solar panel above. It would be great if you could buy something like this pre-built and ready for use. One of my locations has the camera fairly low and looking upwards and out and protecting it from weather makes a big difference to the video I get.

- Live viewing of cameras is a problem at the moment because of your software? The requirement is to go through your servers to view rather than direct connection. Direct connections and any sort of local service provision are vulnerable so security wise it is better to go through your servers with an authorized device which is logged. Maybe it is possible to do dual authorization from your servers and from the device to the local router which allows the local router to connect to a hotspot pre-defined in the Arlo app and provide a pre-defined local management interface in that hotspot.

- I've gone through every setting in the app with regards to devices. You've done an excellent job of setting the app with the most secure and optimized default settings. Except for setting up activity zones for cameras, it's probably best no one touches the other settings in my opinion. ; )

-You want storage costs and AI analysis costs covered with regular funds coming in to improve your hardware and software. This makes sense. People want to pay as little as possible and still get great outcomes. Your cameras are amazing. Your form factor for cameras is beautiful. One reason I never wanted cameras before is because how ugly most of the market is. Your wide angle view is incredible and I'm looking forward to a roof mounted or wall mounted 360 degree camera which sees in all directions including backwards out from the camera. Your software zoom feature is also amazing.

Well done.

Fedz
Novice
Allow Arlo Ultra cameras connect directly to the WiFi without the smarthub.
This would enable the cameras to be used across big homes or homes with thick walls. Since the WiFi can be extended using WiFi extenders.
Or alternatively support or create WiFi extenders that can be used directly with smart hub to extend the signal range.
jnsl
Follower

So we have ordered 4 of the Arlo Ultra 2 Cameras with the Arlo Basestation.

For now we've installed 2 of the 4 cameras.... 1 in front of the house and 1 in the backyard.

In addition we want to add a camera to the main entry door (of the property) 

... When placing a camera close to the main entry the signal is too bad to get a video... The Arlo-App shows that the camera is offline or has a very bad signal.

We cant take a second base station as the first is already at the closest place to the entry door....

What can we do here now to get a video of the entry door?

(Just read about the possibility to get a indipendent door-ring-bell which I can connect directly to the we have Wifi?! -> So i get it right, that the Arlo-Cameras are only/directly connected to the Basestation and NOT to the actually WiFi?!)

Sorry if my english is a little bad ... And thanks for any helpful answers 😃

StephenB
Guru
@jnsl  wrote:

(Just read about the possibility to get a indipendent door-ring-bell which I can connect directly to the we have Wifi?! -> So i get it right, that the Arlo-Cameras are only/directly connected to the Basestation and NOT to the actually WiFi?!)

The ultras connect via a closed wifi system to the base.  So they are still using a WiFi, just not your home wifi.

The doorbells (AVD1001 and AVD1002), the Pro4 camera and the Arlo Essential cameras can connect directly to your home wifi. So can the Pro3 Floodlight (but not the ordinary Pro3).

@StephenB  wrote:

The doorbells (AVD1001 and AVD1002), the Pro4 camera and the Arlo Essential cameras can connect directly to your home wifi. So can the Pro3 Floodlight (but not the ordinary Pro3).

Essential cameras also work with home wifi.

dcfox1
Master

@michaelkenward  StephenB  did say Essential cameras or am I missing something. 

jnsl
Follower

Thank you guys for the answers... I'm going to search the right (standalone) camera now...

Am I getting it right that the additional camera will be added to the Arlo-System on my iPhone as well?

Or do I need a seperate Application on my phone for the additional camera?

Thanks

❤️

I love to work with Arlo... this is so great...

StephenB
Guru
@jnsl  wrote:

Am I getting it right that the additional camera will be added to the Arlo-System on my iPhone as well?

Yes - all Arlo cameras use the same app.