Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend Range of Cameras (via repeaters)

So far, I love Arlo.  I live in the forest and have a lot of land and distance is what is limiting from creating a security system with Arlo like I truly desire.  If Arlo had a camera/base-station repeater(s) that would extend the range of the cameras and basestation, I feel like it would open up a lot more possibilities.  This would allow you in theory to have many different line of site repeaters between the camera and the base station which would allow you to have cameras over much larger distances.  This would be awesome and really really hope that something like this comes out for Arlo.

Comments
Donlin
Follower

Dtarin, can you let me know how you go with your research? 

PetRep
Fledgling

I am in total agreement with all of the preceding comments.  I have a brick house and diffulty getting a signal to cover its perimeter ... most frustrating!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Biff_Ren_Dang
Onlooker

This needs to be looked at. As stated, whilst the idea of suggesting multiple base stations may sound right, some properties aren't suitable for that application.

I have a garage JUST out of reach of the wifi of the base station, and I can't get a camera out there without buying a second base station, which, as also mentioned before, still needs to be connected to the network, so it'll need cabling anyway, defeating the purpose of having a wirefree setup.

bev13
Follower

Just my 2 cents

I agree, should be a way that developers can create a way that an extender could be added to the ARLO family.

With the way we are building Homes to withstand bad weather, tornadoes and damaging winds. The walls are getting thicker with foam and steel, there is a need to extend our cameras beyon the distance of today.

Pdaigle
Novice

4 years after the first post on this was made, I'm still having trouble adding arlo base station to my wifi via netgear extender.  I have a hotspot that I connected it to this way and it worked for a few months then all of the sudden it stopped. Range of cameras and base still needs to be improved somehow. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

@Pdaigle

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

mgage1906
Fledgling
Having a large home, it’s almost impossible for the Arlo Ultra SmartHub to reach all of the cameras. I had to resort to buying another SmartHub to get all of the cameras functioning properly since 70% of the time they wouldn’t all be connected. Arlo should develop a product the size of the Smartbridge used for the Arlo Lights that can extend the signal from the hub. This would make the system more functional for larger homes. Also, we need an update that speeds up the video connect time. By the time I open the app or view in homekit the motion has stopped or left.
dcfox1
Master

The only option to extend the rage is get a second hub and a wifi extender with ethernet port to plug that one in to. Then connect the distant cams to that one. I assume you tried to put your hub in the center of house and that didn't work. 

mgage1906
Fledgling
I’ve already done that but it’s not an optimal solution if they could create a range extender option without the need for an additional hub. I shouldn’t have to buy another $150 hub to get better coverage. It works great now but that limits the system