Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend Range of Cameras (via repeaters)

So far, I love Arlo.  I live in the forest and have a lot of land and distance is what is limiting from creating a security system with Arlo like I truly desire.  If Arlo had a camera/base-station repeater(s) that would extend the range of the cameras and basestation, I feel like it would open up a lot more possibilities.  This would allow you in theory to have many different line of site repeaters between the camera and the base station which would allow you to have cameras over much larger distances.  This would be awesome and really really hope that something like this comes out for Arlo.

Comments
Donlin
Follower

I second this. Also rural located. I understand why you wouldn’t let any wifi repeater connect to a base station/camera BUT I  have purchased two base stations already to support typical rectangle shaped house, but I would love a camera watching my front gate, and another watching the poultry - I have the cameras avaiable but the base station wifi just wont make the distance. 

To get this, I have to spend more money to purchase a couple of SIM card Arlo cameras with solar panel 😞 I love your product, but hate it’s wifi limitations. 

Donlin
Follower

Adding base stations is fine IF one had power where the additional base stations need to be located 😞

Jonjonajamieson
Apprentice
I’ve realised a lot of problems people have with the arlo system is due to lack of signal. Even when you do have 2 bars it’ll struggle. A lot of time this causes ur batteries to die quicker too.

Arlo desperately needs something similar to “Ring”

Ring have a dedicated signal booster that plugs into ur socket.

It would recieve it’s signal from the base unit and boost it.

This way you won’t need to buy another base unit. Or try and plug in another cable into your home router (which no doubt is full already)

I have my base station in a central location in my house. But the cameras on the outskirts of my property struggle, they are also the ones where the battery dies quicker., all we’d need is a signal booster that boosts the signal from the arlo base unit. Similar to what the ‘Ring’ signAl booster does.
Hung-Cheung
Novice

Arlo pro 2 camera and base station needs to add/allow wifi range extenders into the network.

Arlo Pro 2 camera and base station depends on WIFI to communicate, which is a private network from our home network. But very often, putting cameras on the other side of the house puts the cameras out of range. 

So I found out that network extenders don't extend arlo's private network, but only allows the user to reposition the base station from the router. Arlo's network is completely private and not connectable/accessible with at all. 

The Arlo's network SHOULD be open/accessible to allow say, a WIFI extender be added to the network to help boost the range. 

The current solution for this scenario is to have multiple base stations, but that really doesnt make sense at all.. who would setup a second modem+router+internet-subscription just to extend coverage?

There needs a solution for this. WIFI has limits, but this is a home security system and we need some backup/assistance here to be properly covered.

Would be nice if we can somehow take advantage of the Orbi mesh router (not just relocating the base station). Maybe somehow can help extend the arlo's network? 

Maybe cameras should be connected to the home network to the base station?

One day, I would like to imagine all netgear's products work together in a home solution.. if they can be compatible and give advantages for having an arlo + orbi, i think it would boost market/sales and people wanting the complete system.

bosborn
Fledgling

I like that idea.. Could this be an option? 

Some extenders would communicate as the wireless to the router then the base station can plug into the ethernet port for connections.? They have a few options out there.

TomMac
Guru

At this time, the only real way to expand coverage is to use multi bases.... there is no limit on bases on any account level.

Orbi does make this easy as each satellite has ethernet ports which allow the base unit to hook into... Been running this way for a while and works well

dtarin
Tutor

It's 2018.  Is there still no wireless signal repeater for Arlo cameras? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

Hi dtarin,

While there is not currently a way to extend the signal for a base station, there is no limit to the number of base stations that can be added to an account. This allows the user to add additional base stations to improve signal strength.

Donlin
Follower

Adding additional base stations may sound a simple and effective process but when you want to place a camera in the middle of a paddock (so to speak) as we do to also monitor predators around poultry, calving cattle, its frustrating. Our property is an L shaped one; we are on stand alone solar; and we do not want or have the wish to put in underground power lines from house to where we would like a camera/base station.

We have purchased the sim card camera for the front gate but the signal is weak and we are yet to see if wifi extenders will help strengthen that signal.

But Telstra wants to charge a minimum of $30 a month for the sim. We are lucky we are still on one of the older plans where we can add a sim in a bundle for $5 a month instead. Still annoying when we pay such good money for cameras and internet connections already, and not every spot on our property gets internet connection.

Arlo you need to help out us rural folks while keeping the cost reasonable

dtarin
Tutor

Well it's obvious Netgear cant or won't provide a 'repeater' like device or even allow for high gain atennas to be used.  Therefore, if I may surmize, the answer to this question is: 'Look at other manufacturer products'. 

I am going to start searching for other sytems but has anyone used cameras from other manufactuers that have greater range than Arlo Netgear?