Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
Ogregon45
Fledgling

I posted  previously complaining  about Arlo using one's phone's message alert sound for a camera alert.   

This thought may already have been shared within the many complaints about this, but while I think poorly of Netscape's apparent lack of concern regarding customer complaints (after all, they already bought the system) I think it would be some app developer's job to create an app for IOS and Android phones which sounds a distinct louder noise when an Arlo camera sends an alert.

Should Arlo folks have already paid or pushed someone to do this?  Sure.  But I doubt they will move on this now since they have not already after a zillion complaints.

I am thinking of contacting CNET and other tech/digital industry folks about this.  And it is an opportunity for a developer!  I would pay for such an app, especially one which would allow my phone to set custom LOUD alert tones on my iPhone for alerts for more than one installed feature on my phone.

Naturecannon
Follower
If you folks go to page 5 in this thread you will see an Android app I shared (not my app). The app lets you choose a custom sound other than the phones default sound for arlo notifications . Works well and small footprint.

But yes I do agrees and am still blown away that the custom notification sound option has not been added to arlo app. It's a simple request for an important option in my opinion.
Sarmbrister
Onlooker
I was so excited to see this and hoped it would solve my alert problems but alas on Samsung Galaxy s7 all it did was screw up all my notifications and set them all to vibrate only. Oh well back to the drawing board. Come on Arlo- get off your Butts and fix this within your own app so customers don't have to scramble trying to find other ways to make it work. Ridiculous!!!
Sarmbrister
Onlooker
I also tried it on LG G3 and had the same problems. Might be something I'm doing wrong but if so I haven't figured out what yet.
Naturecannon
Follower
You talking about the app mentioned? Worked with note 5 and now note. You do have to configure it but simple enough with a fee clicks and permissions.

Here is another option but involves your phone ringing (phone calls) I suppose it would work at night in low and unsuspected traffic area.
https://ifttt.com/recipe_embed_use/416035-if-arlo-detects-motion-call-my-phone
Naturecannon
Follower
Hmm can't edit posts here. Worked with note 5 and now with my note 7
Sarmbrister
Onlooker
Yes the mega sound app. I made the changes in settings to allow mega sound then chose just the Arlo app to set a custom sound. I presumed I did not want to choose mega as my default notification as I assumed that would change all my notifications. Is that what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.
DFS1
Onlooker

Can you delvelop an Audio Chime for when motion is detected by cameras.  Ring Doorbell has a wireless chime that is activated when the button is pushed.

I only view my cell phone app alerts during the day, it would be nice to have an audio alert that would wake me in the night if the camera detected motion. 

This would truly enhance the security aspect.  Now I just get to enjoy a video of thieves breaking into my vehicle while I sleep.

Sarmbrister
Onlooker

Ok folks I think I have found a work around on my Samsung Galaxy S7. I only have a few apps that I want sound notifications from so this might be tougher for someone who likes a sound for everything. I made my default notification a siren sound so Arlo would get my attention. I then went into each app that I also want sounds from and within the apps setting was able to choose my notifications for those apps. Note: I use Google Messenger for text, facebook messenger and emergency/amber/weather alerts are the only other apps I want sound from. So far this is working and I haven't had the crap scared out of me by my phone except for when Arlo is set off so far. This only seems to work if whatever apps you want sound from allows you to designate the sound within the apps settings. You can go into settings, notifications and toggle off and on which specific apps you want notifications from.

Like I said if you are a person who wants sound notifcations from lots of apps etc this might be time consuming to do and it will nto work unless the app itself allows you within it to set your notifications sound.

For whatever it's worth, I hope this helps some people at least.If I can help anyone with trying to make it work on their device, please feel free to shoot me a message with a way to contact you. 

JamesC
Community Manager

DFS1,

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC